1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is this thing worth it?

Discussion in 'Back-up Buddy - Back-up & Utility Lights - Trucks' started by jerseydrew, Dec 14, 2010.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

been thinking of getting the back up buddy but it's a little expensive for what it is. is it worth it?

2. eric02038

eric02038 Senior Member
    from MA

I thought the same thing. I looked at a setup on JC Whitney that cost a little less. After reading the reviews i thought it's probably worth spending a little more on the back up buddy as the reviews for the JC Whitney setup were terrible. Haven't used the back up buddy in the snow yet(haven't any any snow), but the setup seems well worth the money, very rugged.

3. TLK380

TLK380 Member

I just got two led units. They work really good. I can't wait to use them when plowing. They worth every penny.

4. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

I bought an LED version with the amber strobe in the fall. Finally got to use it in a storm last weekend, and this thing is AWESOME!! IMO definitely worth the money. I've used many cheap set ups and they always break and get destroyed. The backup buddy lights are hinged, so when you hit a snow bank, they just bend out of the way, so you just position them back to where you want. Very heavy duty design. I'm very pleased so far. Thumbs Up

5. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

I bought a LED version with the amber strobe. wow is it built tough!!!

well made thats for sure.

this thing is exactly what i am looking for b/c i can switch it to my work van to use for its lights and step during the non-plow season and ut it back on my pickup for winter.

very nice!!! this should work great for me thanks for the quick shipping too!!!

6. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Have the halogens. Built super tough and super bright, love having the lights back there as a utility light with the built in switch also, extremely handy. Highly recommend.

7. backupbuddy

backupbuddy Senior Member

Thanks guys for all the positive feedback I do appreciate it.

8. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Love mine. Great customer service to boot. I backed mine straight into an ice pile really hard and thought I killed it. Took it all apart, dried it all out "coaxed" it back into it's orginal form and it works fine.
    Gary, sorry for not getting back to sooner, but thanks for the extra lights you sent me.
    Customer Service--AAA+++

9. racingnplowin

racingnplowin Junior Member

I'm thinking about getting one. How much brighter is the LED version over the 50w halogen? Does the strobe stay on all the time or only when the truck is in reverse?

10. backupbuddy

I personally like the LED better - its a whiter, brighter light. There are two switches on the back of the unit. One controls the strobe (with parking lights on) on/off switch. So the strobe is either on or off. The other switch controls the utility lights. The utility lights are on an on/off/on switch. You can set the switch to the left and the utility lights will come on in reverse. If you set it to the right the Utility lights will stay on, and in the middle it shuts off the utility light functions. If you go to the website www.back-upbuddy.com we do have some pictures of the different light outputs (under "Photos" on the left side, just arrow thru the pictures).

11. racingnplowin

racingnplowin Junior Member

Thanks for the info. What is the best hitch lock out there that can handle the salt? I'd hate to have someone steal it.

12. backupbuddy

A stainless locking pin would probably be your best bet, but I just use a regular one, just keep it greased and get one with a cap.

13. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Man I'm glad I bought a BUB!! It came in real handy the last few days. I think I want the new brighter led now.

14. backupbuddy

Hey BC Handyman I'm glad you like it and it's came in handy. Thank you and we appreciate your business.

15. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

Nice set up .

16. Lou Braun

Lou Braun Junior Member

The LED version of this backup light is excellent! Installed one on my pickup truck and got another for the Outback. The pickup truck version with the built-in step is one tough unit.

If you look up and price out the pieces and parts that go into making one of these systems, you will find that purchasing a fully assembled unit is the way to go. This is definetely a quality unit.

Now all that is needed is a lot of snow to really see how that critter works when plowing.

Lou Braun

17. backupbuddy

Hi Lou,
    Thank you for your purchases we appreciate it. Did you get any snow from the storm we got on Monday? If so how did it work?

18. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

anyone have a picture of this thing in use.

i built my own backup lights out of some rv lights i got for free, but the lights werrent really that good.

next ill build a light bar to put on my truck, itl have the brightest natural lights i can get both forward and backward. ill be like a light house for parking lots. :D

19. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

ooooooohhhhhhh.... my old plow lights..... woo hoo :D idea :D

20. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

Just buy one..trust me- i have 2 of the LED version and you cant build one as good as Gary can..not for the money. Very well built units.