1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this the right way to get the residental customers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cheesedawg1, Dec 8, 2004.

1. cheesedawg1

cheesedawg1 Junior Member

Before, every winter I would go around and knock on door to door on all my lawn customers if they wanted their driveways plowed. As my customer base increased I want to try something different and I have an idea and I want to know if any of you guys have had success or failure doing what i am trying.

I am going to send out letters to my customers telling them I will be providing snow removal serviced when it snows. Now here are my questions. In terms of pricing what is the most common way to charge if your working with a two car garage and not too big properties or driveways. Do you guys charge a flat fee + each inch it snows? Or how does it work with the residental people. In my letter should I state any prices? Or have my customers call me if they are interestd in any additional details if they want my services. Any inputs or thoughts?

2. f350dieselemt

f350dieselemt Member

where

Where in NJ are u from I am from BErgen COunty??

3. cheesedawg1

Burlington County

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We have found that giving prices in advance works best. Some people think it is more expensive then it is. We give a flat price for the year. We know the average snowfalls for a year. There maybe 1 or 2 more or 1 or 2 less but it will be close. This way you know how much you will make and the customer knows how much they will spend. JMO and it works well around here.

5. cheesedawg1

In New Jersey we may not get that much snow. I think every last one of my customers would be hesitant to sign with me on a flat price.

6. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Around here you might get something like $50 a plow including doing the walk, you wont get much more than that. Dont send out prices on your letter either, jus ask them to call for an estimate, i mean what if one driveway is more difficult then another. Good Luck.

Jeff

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I hear all the time guys are getting $50/plow. Well if thats true you guys are kings. For a 20'x50' driveway without any shoveling we are lucky to get $300 for the year. Average snowfalls is 15. Last year 21, 3 years ago 9. Most years is 14 to 16. We plow on 1 1/2" of snow.

8. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

on an 8 to ten inch snowfall i get up to a 100 dollars for a drive that takes less than ten minutes. probobly about 15x 75 L shaped

PEople around here dont wanna get wet or cold, and they pay for it.

9. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

residential

I would say knock on the doors , why not? if it drums up a little business , great. your only helping you and your customer. and you know what to charge cause you said they are already your customers , so i'm sure they trust you on your prices . i get $25-40 for a driveway. And if your doing a good job on the lawns then they will want you..for sure..

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

PLOWKID150

Thats great. I am glad to hear people can still make money plowing driveways. I priced a place that was 10 parking spaces and a 30'x30' piece for $700 for the year and I wasn't even close. 4 years I priced a 1/4 mile road and 5 estate driveways. They got it done for $1450 for the year. I wouldn't do the driveways for that!

11. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

cet i hear ya man, its brutal how some people are such tight asses with their money. They dont understand that we have 40k investements plowing their properties and we need to make a profit no matter how EASY it looks to them

Kevin

12. cheesedawg1

Do a your residental customers know that if it snows 4 inches you automatically come out and its x amount? Like are your prices based on per inch? I know some of you price per year but that wouldnt work around my area.