1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this stuff SALT?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by weasel11, Dec 11, 2008.

1. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

Morton's Water Softner Pellet's. Is this the same as salt? A renter in my storage units moved last year and left 2 pallets behind. Looks like they are 50lb bags about 40-50 per pallet. Will this de-ice snow/ice on asphalt? Thanks for the info

2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

If the stuff your talking about is the crushed stuff, yes it will work. I have used it. It is not as good as normal #1 bagged salt though. It seems to take longer to start working, and the chunks are slightly bigger then normal so they leave a lot of white residue.

3. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

If it's the yellow bag, it's not crushed, but in large horse-pill sized pellets.

I'm not sure how it would do with ice melting, but it's supposed to take its time in the water softener. Seems like I wind up feeding about a bag a week into that thing...

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It will work just fine. It is bigger chunks tho. You can break them up by emptying the bag on a tarp and driving over it.

5. procut

procut Senior Member

It works, just not that good.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i used stuff in a white bag.... at menards. it acctually worked really well, and was crushed small powder

7. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

yes.. as long as it says sodium...just might have some different composition percentages. when i was 16 i worked for a place that sold it and thats what they threw out on the sidewalk in between the contractor visits during storms..and after refreezes in the morning..

just keep in mind because of the size it may eat up the surface quicker and if you get any on grass you might have an issue in the spring.

just make sure it isn't just potassium... don't think that would work...but then again i've never tried lol

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Since I am not ignoring you i will comment now

There is no better salt than free salt:drinkup:

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

Where are you located? I'll buy them from you if your close enough.
    Yes, its salt...But not intended for ice melting...
    Softener salt is 99% Clean..As in only 1% or less contaminants.. rock salt is no where near 99% and is therefore much less expensive than softener salt.....Screw wasting it on walks...Sell it... You will be able to buy 3 pallets or more of the rock salt with what you get out of the softener salt.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  10. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

cretebaby-Different composition percentages of ......Salt?

A:Some softeners can have different compositions of different elements depending on the condition of the water.

Salt doesnt "eat up the surface" on asphalt

A: But it does on concrete

Why would it be Potassium its water softner salt

A: He said its softener..he didn't say if it was salt or not. Some people use potassium as a substitute. But yeah I don't know if it would work.

but its still free!

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If you can't be bothered to sell it, just blend it in with your regular salt--it will get crushed by the traffic running over it, not to worry. Maybe one bag of that to one bag of regular. I would imagine even potassium would work, anything that can dissolve in water should... whether its fast or not could be another story.

But water softener salt does work, I've used it before in a pinch. Wouldn't use it on sidewalks, though, kinda like walking on ball bearings! But as a percentage in the parking area, not a problem at all.

Cheap is good. Free is much better. :D

12. JD657757

JD657757 Junior Member

hahahaha I did this to. I paid like 7.50 for an 80 pound bag and it works pretty good.

13. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

In Tn. a little far away. They sell it at Sam's Club I saw it this weekend $5 a bag.

14. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

Thanks to everyone. I was at Sam's Club this weekend and saw this same stuff for $5 a bag and if you're tax exempt like me you can tell them that you're going to re-sell it and pay NO TAX.