1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this stuff OILY?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PerfiCut Inc., Jan 4, 2010.

1. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

I have a new customer we signed that had a huge problem with their old contractor using COMBO THERM on their walkways. Apparently this stuf has an oily base or by product, which when it gets on the customers shoes and they walk inside onto the nice shiny marble floor WOOOOPS. Down they go. Evidently they had 15 or so slip and falls during last weeks event. They tracked it back to this stuff.

I was wondering if anyone uses this and if so, have you had any issues with it?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ummm, yes.

All calcium chloride is oily, especially when applied at rates that are too high.

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

What about Sodium Chloride.....:waving:

4. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

5. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

same issue here. almost ruined a cust. hard wood floors bec if it. the floors stayed slick for a week. we switched to mag flake and pellet and now no problems

6. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Interestingly, this is almost the exact reason I always ask "why?" when a customer asks for straight calcium. It's a great product, but it's not "salt", and a lot of snow "contractors" don't understand that. A frighteningly large number of them don't care to know, or ask.

Top notch, top notch!!

:laughing:

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You #1 you! :realmad:

8. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

If it gets slippery add sand.
    :laughing::laughing: