1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is This Salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by weasel11, Dec 11, 2008.

1. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

Hello
    I just wanted to know if Morton's Water Softner Pellets is the same as salt. I thought that I heard it was but not sure. The reason I ask is one of my renters moved out and left 2 pallets behind. Looks like 50lb bags about 90-100 of them and thought I could use them to salt my asphalt lots. I appreciate the info

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think it would melt snow but the pellets might be a little dangerous to walk on.

3. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

yes.. as long as it says sodium...just might have some different composition percentages. when i was 16 i worked for a place that sold it and thats what they threw out on the sidewalk in between the contractor visits during storms..and after refreezes in the morning..

just keep in mind because of the size it may eat up the surface quicker and if you get any on grass you might have an issue in the spring.

just make sure it isn't just potassium... don't think that would work...but then again i've never tried lol

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

No better salt than free salt

5. leon

leon Senior Member

softener pellets

It is evaporated table salt and - you would be money ahead and would get a lot of rock salt trading it for rock salt or one of the "safety salt" brands like magic salt etc. value for value as it is more valuable to a retailer than rock salt as it is a not a seasonal salt for them as softener salt is used year round.

The other thing it you will not need as much so sand and the pellets mixed together will go a huge distance in coverage for your useage

So its a case of barter swap or not either way you win and the really fine sand that is sold in valve pack or sewn bags will go a long way too as it is kiln dried and sterilized prior to packaging-at least the "Sakrete" brand of bagged sand is steam sterilized so you can count on their quality and product size <40 mesh sand screenings.

leon

6. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Ok try a bag on your driveway/sidewalk then if you dont like it. Sell it on Ebaypayup (prob. sells big) or ask the local costco if they will buy it off you.payup