1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this right for me?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sharky, Nov 20, 2002.

1. sharky

sharky Junior Member
    from Ontario

well, my first try at this post gave an error, so lets try again

I was considering starting a plow business of my own at the end of last season, however I decided it was not the time. However, im considering it again, but from a different angle.

My scenario is like this.

I currently work another job, its 7 days a week, from 5am to 11am but Im used to working 15+ hours a day. Though my own business would not be fair to customers as I cant provide 24/7 support, im considering subcontracting. I have been watching the autotraders and for $4000 - $7000 I can get a truck with a plow, it might not have heated seats, but parts are a plenty at the local pick and pull. Im only 19, but Im a hard worker and eager to learn, so my questions are as follows. If I were to start subcontracting, are companies willing to help train and give some pointers? or is it everyman for himself? Are subcontracting jobs hard to find? (Toronto, Ontario area) Id be willing to work for less until Im fully trained. I realize thatr 5am to 11am might be prime plowing time my schedule can be flexible in big storms as I can start late/leave early. Any pointers, advice would be great.

Also, how does this sound? a 1989 F250 with a western Vplow and low mileage (128 kms) Though id have to see it first, assuming its in decent running condition is $4500 CDN a good deal?

I did search, and found some helpful info, except now Im looking for some personal opinions. Thanks, Mike
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Sharky, if you haven't received your welcome yet, Welcome to Plowsite!:drinkup:

Click on the Snowplowing Contractors Network icon at the top of the page and surf around. You'll pick up some tips there. Chuck also has a book available that you can purchase to learn about the trade. Probably the best way to learn is to ride with someone.

The truck is adequate, I don't know prices in your region. Take a good look at the front axle on the truck and the front springs too. The Twin Traction Beam axles are prone to problems, I had one housing break on my older truck.

Check the rear axle as well. Take a look at the center of the wheel, if the axle opening is flat instead of having the axle protrude through the wheel about six inches, it means it's the light duty F-250, and I'd pass. My opinion is you want a full floating rear, they're much stronger.

You'll want anything you purchase to be reliable, major contractors will quit calling you if your truck is often broken down.