1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DBFlawn, Jan 29, 2010.

1. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Is it possible to plow with this truck. its a 1999 F350 lifted 8 inches. The link is below. Truck is a steal for the price around here, and i would like to get into plowing this upcoming season. I know I got time to look but is it possible to put a plow on 8 inches of lift?

Thanks for all the help guys. I learn a lot on here. I dont always post but im going to try and fix that. I read on here daily though. GREAT KNOWLEDGE!
  2. starc

starc Senior Member

You would just need to extend the plow mount to be at the proper height so the plow sits proper.
  3. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Is this a difficult thing to do?
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

8 inch lift wouldn't be my first choice for a plow truck. But, there are a few guys running lifted trucks on here. You need to the mount at a normal height, so it will hang down quite a bit. But you can pull it off in the spring. You need someone to modify the mount who really knows what they are doing. The forces applied to a plow mount by an 8,000 lb truck are significant.
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The next problem would be seeing the plow. When your up that high all your gonna see is the side marker poles. Might be smart to buy the truck and drop about 5 inches out of the lift, and go from there.
  6. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Well I appreciate all of your guys help. But with it being 8 inches and not lets say 5-6 inches. I feel I might be taking a little bit more of a risk right now and having to bit off more than I can chew at the moment. On the bright side I have gained knowledge from this thread and will know next time what I'm about to get myself into if I even coem across another truck that happens to be lifted I know what has to be done if I wanted to put a plow on it.

Thanks again all!
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Wait till spring to buy a truck. There will be plenty of used plow trucks for sale then.
  8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I would not buy from that seller as he is calling the truck a 450 in his description when the truck is clearly not a 450.Reread the description ,it is not a mistake but a false statement.
  9. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I caught that as well. I also wonder why the price is so low. Kinda fishy to me.

If you end up getting the truck, pull the lift off and sell it so you can help offset the price of a plow.
  10. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

The description is correct. I have talked to the guy and it is actually a 450. Whether or not he lied to me on the phone is a different story. In the end I decided not to get the truck. Too risky for me to buy a truck and it be my only truck for plowing. I don't need and problems in my first year.

Thanks all for helping out!
  11. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

FYI ford did not offer a pickup version of the 450 till 2008, also they never were configured with single tires and a stock bed would never clear the rear end as it it 4 inches wider than the 250 and 350 . if they did put a pickup bed on a 450 ,you would see a gap behind the cab because the 250-350 is 56" cab to axel and the 450-550 is 60" cab to axel.
  12. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

I did know about them not offering the 450 pick up till 2008. The guy on the phone told me it was converted to SRW and put a bed on it. ALTHOUGH I did NOT know about the frame being wider and longer. What you have explained makes complete sense and I'm happy I did not go buy it or even look at it now knowing the guy was lieing not only about the model but i wonder what else he could have lied about. Thanks for clearing that up. Learn something new everyday! :drinkup:
  13. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

no problem . I cant see why someone would want a 15,000 lb gvw single wheel pickup anyhow.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

V10 is cheap to buy, expensive to run!!!!
  15. MaineF250

MaineF250 Senior Member
    from Maine

sounds like a liar to me. That truck is not an F450, it has the sterling 10.5" rearend where a 450 would have at least a dana 80. The underneath and the frame looks brand new though so without the lift it could be a solid base for a nice work truck.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010