1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this plow to Big

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 30milepace, Jan 3, 2008.

1. 30milepace

30milepace Junior Member
    from Chicago

I have a 2006 duramax 2500HD. I just bought ampmal's(listed in the used equipment from today) contractor grade 8' plow. I looked up the specs and it weighs 805# without the mount. I have been told by various plow dealers that the plow for my truck is a mid-weight at best maybe a pro. Am I asking for trouble or should I mount the monster. The plow is basicly brand new and beautiful. Mike(Ampmal) had a hd2500 but the 6L version. I really just wanted the 7'6"pro I could not pass on this deal. Are you guys with the durmax experiencing any problems with front ends that you put overrated plows on?
  2. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I don't run a Dmax but have plenty of friends who do that plow. A lot of them run 8'2" V's and 8'6 straights. You shouldn't have any prob with an 8'. As it has been said a billion times here, for those of us who run Chevy/GMC, turn the T-bars a few times and put in timbrens.
  3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

your truck could handle it no problem..it could even handle a 9'.. Is your truck a crew or extended cab?? If it is, you would only be overweight with other ppl in the truck. That's why dealers say it's too heavy, because they are trying to cover their butts i guess. But the duramax is awesome! Could move mountains of snow
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I run an 8' with wings. It's got to weigh 800+
    it does fine.
    You need ballast for sure. (500-600lbs or more, more is better)
    Timbrens make a big difference in ride quality with the plow on, but not required (although I wouldn't go back)

BTW, see my post on leaking transmission cooler lines on 06 Duramax's, they seem to have a bad batch. Leaks right where it hooks into the cooler.
  5. 30milepace

30milepace Junior Member
    from Chicago

Air Bags Or Trimbrens

I will install the plow next question air bags or Trimbrens? If air bags are the high maintenance and hard to install?
  6. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Timbrens.....put 'em in and forget about it. No air lines to worry about and bags to deal with.JMO
  7. billet-boy

billet-boy Member

I just put a set of Timbrens in tonight about ten minutes to install and i put the plow back on (blizzard 810) wow what a difference
  8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Put my Tiberens in today like stated, minutes to install:

I waited years to do them until I saw the post above this one saying ten minutes to intall. I ordered mine that day, and installed them a today:

I posted this thread so people can see how easy they are infact: