1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this overkill?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by AJ46, Nov 15, 2005.

1. AJ46

AJ46 Junior Member

I am looking to plow my own driveway which is about 800 feet long by 20 feet wide. It's partially paved but has some sections which are gravel. I needed a pick up truck for the property anyway so I figured I'd get one with a plow on it.

Here's what I'm looking at:
    2000 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 gasser, Reg Cab, Long Bed with a 8'2" Boss Power-V mounted on it for $11k.

I had a friend that works for Dodge run the VIN and the truck has the Plow Prep Package and the works.

Is this overkill or would it be smart of me to go with this truck.

On a side note, would I need any additional insurance if I were to use the plow to do my 82 year old neighbors driveway for her?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, that is definately overkill for an 800' driveway. Get something like an old s10 with a 6 ft plow. As far as doing your neighbor's, it doesn't matter how old she is - are you getting paid for it? If so, it is considered commercial plowing. If not, it may fall under the "Good Samaritan" provisions. Check with your insurance company.
  3. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

I would say get it if you need the payload capacity of the Dodge. The V10 gets almost the same mileage as the 360 ci. V8.
  4. chironorm

chironorm Junior Member

i too think that it's overkill. way overkill. but if you don't buy it i know someone that would definately be interested. he's looking at a 99 dodge 2500 for 13k right now. if you decide not to buy the truck and wouldn't care if someone else took a look at it would you email me the info at mikenormandc@mail.com?
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

May be he doesn't want an older truck and it sounds like he could use that truck all year long on his estate, as it will be a very good choice with the long box, plow and the options it has.
    As far as plowing the neighbor, go talk to here about plowing her drive,
    and you should be fine with out any additional ins.

What would you guys have him get 20yr old truck with 2 wheel drive and a snow bear? He has 800ft of his own drive to do!
    He needs a truck that will give him years of service.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  6. Mick

from Maine

His question was - if this truck is overkill for plowing this driveway. So, yes, I would say it is. If he wants to get it for the other things he'd be doing, fine - that's his decision. But a 3/4 ton V10 for plowing that driveway? It's just over 1/10 of a mile.
  7. AJ46

AJ46 Junior Member

Sorry, should have been more specific....

First of all thanks for all the responses, but I guess I should have been more specific. I would also be using the truck to haul things around the property, a good portion of the property is still wooded with dirt trails and I haul firewood back to the house. I would also use it to go to home depot and what not. As far as my neighbor goes I would definitely not charge her for her driveway, I would just do it so that she wouldn't have to shovel. I guess the better question to ask would have been, "Is this size truck built strong enough so that it would easily handle the driveway and the regular light to medium duty that I would throw at it and if so do you guys think it is a good deal?" I just wanted to make sure that I would be getting a good truck. Also, if any one has any opinions about the boss Power-V plow, I'd love to hear them. Again sorry for having been so ambiguous with my question.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  8. Mick

from Maine

No problem. Then, yes, it's plenty strong enough. As far as being a good deal, I wouldn't know. You need somebody to actually check the truck over and check for prices in your area. There are several websites that can show you area prices.
  9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Its overkill, but it will get the job done. :nod: Thats for sure!
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Are you kidding- that's a 3/4 to 1 ton truck- yeah, to say it'll handle anything you want to throw at it is an understatement. Most of us plow professionally with 2500 models.
  11. Brett K

Brett K Member

Is overkill a bad thing? It is the only way I know.:drinkup: Har!HAr!Har!
  12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

LOL- only up until you buy a Walter snowfighter or an FWD to plow your drive!!:D

Anyone know where I can get a Walter.....:nod:
  13. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

really? a 360 only gets 8 mpg?
  14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Really?? I get 9 to 10 mpg city and 12 to 13 mpg hwy with both of my 2500 360.
    Or is that with the plow on? Then I think it's 1 gal=1 mile 1:1 LOL....
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  15. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Sounds like a good investment. Especially, considering that your posts imply a "lighter" duty use for a truck built like a tank.

It sounds like you could even get away with a 1/2 ton p/up with a plow. But, in my opinion, I would DEFINATELY opt for more truck than you need, like this one.

As far as the price goes, again, I'm no expert, but $11k doesn't sound too bad.
    Especially if it's loaded and it has the v10 and plow prep. Sounds like a nice truck.

BTW, that's nice of you to be willing to do your neighbors drive for free. It's nice to see that neighbors like us (and most of the guys on this site) are still alive and don't view plowing ONLY as a way to make good money (even though that's an important aspect of it...lol payup )

Let us know what you decide...and I hope the best for your decision.
  16. AJ46

AJ46 Junior Member

Thanks Again

I decided to go with the truck. My credit union approved me on Thursday, this morning I took my friend who works for a Dodge dealer to see it and after he made a few calls and realized that the he could verify that all services except for three oil changes had been completed at Dodge dealers, I figured it was a good deal. Also after I found a ding on the Driver side rear quarter panel the seller agreed to take another $500.00 off. So I am now the proud owner of a plow. As for my neighbor, she thanked me profusely when I told her I'd knock out her little 50 foot driveway for her this season. It seems that last year, before I moved in, one of her trees fell and hit another neighbor's detached garage. Well that other neighbor sued and she ended up having to take another mortgage out to help offset the gap in her insurance coverage. As a result she couldn't afford plow service this season and apparantly she has no kids of her own.

I can't tell you guys how grateful I am for the advice. I'm looking forward to more discussions in the future, and I'll post pics soon.

Thanks Again,
  17. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

congrats on ur new truck. Im jealous of the sweet deal you got!! Happy plowing!
  18. dodgeboyz

dodgeboyz Junior Member

I have a 1985 waltersnowfighter I just bought and dont know what im going to do with it, it dont snow much here anymore I just thought it was cool and may make a y2k survival truck if you are serious about wanting one call me at 540 847 7530
    this truck has less than 8000 miles on it
    detroit engine
    and was bought without the plowhowever still has the double wing mounts
  19. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

AJ, you'll be able to do the neighbor's 50' driveway at an idle! I think you'll hardly notice snow in front of the truck when it's pushing. NJ though -- I'm wondering if you'll see snow this year! Heck, we're wondering about NH. Where in NJ? Good luck!