1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this Oil Leak a Problem???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Duplantisjj, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

When I first picked up my plow from the dealer, they demostrated the operation and when they unhitched and re-hitched it up, it leaked a little puddle of fluid...They said it was probably overfilled.....It leaked another when I unhitched and re-hitched it. So far it has has been sitting in my garage for about a week now and I noticed this puddle forming under it. I've attached a picture of the puddle. Is this normal, even for an overfilled unit? Should I take it back to the dealer for an inspect? Appears to be leaking out from under the plastic cover I can't really see exactly what might be leaking.

2. GVLawnCare

GVLawnCare Junior Member

If it's brand new, take it back, and have it repaired under warranty.
  3. Allsnow

Allsnow Junior Member

leaking Boss

it should not be leaking.Take it to your dealer right away and have it fixed.If your Boss dealer is anything like mine-good luck.Trying to have Boss or my dealer deal with problems is impossible.The warranty seems to be a bit of a joke after they cash your cheque.The leak should be easy to trace,but let them fix it.
    Good Luck
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If they keep telling you it is to full then have them drain it to the correct level and then see if it still leaks. Don't wait for the snow to fly because you and they will be to busy.
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Well.....where is it coming from? The resivoir cap? Or a hydraulic line fitting? They're about your only possibilities. One requires tightening, the other requires lowering your fluid level.

I'd say you should take your pump cover off and have a look-see.

Here is just another reason to install the plow yourself.
  6. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

Boss plows are shipped with the hoses loose, and are suppose to be tightened upon installation. you either have a loose hose/connection or it is coming out the fill cap which would suggest the system was overfilled.

The other thought is they are suppose to use sealer around connections, maybe they forgot to use it on one. I think in your photo the white tape is your sealer, see if they forgot to put it on one.
  7. Duplantisjj

Thanks guys.. I'm pretty sure it's not the reservoir cap. I can see that, and I don't see fluid coming from there.

I'll bring it back to the dealer and have them check it out. :nono:
  8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

if it is over filled like the dealer said then have them adjust it. it is a new plow and they are responsible for every little detail. that includes overfilling and even cleaning any fluid spilled on the plow. Your warranty should include faulty material and workmanship which this falls under.
    If they give you any guff then ask for an appointment for some one to come out and clean up the oil spill on your shop floor. also let us know who the dealer is so we can avoid buying from them
  9. Duplantisjj

Just came back from the dealer....it was loose hose fittings. They tightened all the fittings and re-filled the unit. They spent about 20 minutes going over it to make sure everything else was good. We got a few inches of white stuff today...so the plow shop was swamped. They still took it in and made it right...I'm happy, as long as it doesn't leak again anytime soon.
  10. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

OK, Alaska... now I am jealous. I too got my new boss sitting here waiting for
    the snow to fly south of you, send it on down here!!

Glad you got the problem worked out, thought it would be the hose connectors, was a problem for me when I put it together until I got them
    figured out.
  11. Duplantisjj

Yeah...got to use it last night. We got about 4 inches last night and expecting another 3 today... :redbounce

The New Boss works like a charm.... Hope you guys down in the Lower 48 get some white stuff soon:waving: