1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by markjenna, Jan 10, 2010.

1. markjenna

markjenna Junior Member

When I lift and move my 7.5 VEE all my lights and stuff go dim. Would a bigger alternator or battery fix this. Or do you think this is my motor on the plow drawing too much juice. Or is this just normal?

2. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

How long has the plow been on the truck? Is this your first plow? . Have you had a different plow on this truck before? You havent given a lot of info.. What kind of truck / what year? ... all electric/hydro plows will draw power and dimming lights some is normal.

How fast do the lights brighten after youve lifted the plow?

What does the voltmeter read after lifting the plow? .... what does it read after a few hours of use?

Do you know how many amps the alternator is rated for? / what it is actually capable of producing?

A bigger battery cant fix a poor producing alternator.

3. markjenna

markjenna Junior Member

Sorry, I am new to this. 2000 3/4 ton chevy ext cab 4x4. The lights go back to normal right away, Volt meter is just abit above 14, then trickles back down to around 14 after lifting the plow I am not sure about the aletrnator rated. This truck has never had a plow on it before, this is the first. I just had this plow installed this year. The plow is a BOSS 7.5 boss vee.

4. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Im guessing your truck has AC, power windows, locks, etc?... they tend to have a higher output alternator from the factory.. Sounds pretty normal to me.. Keep watching the volts...you like to see that 14 area when not running the plow motor. If it drops below the 12 volt area after plowing for a while ,you may want to check things out a little more.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Very normal. Does that on my Western too, especially when lifting up.

6. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Mine dims a little, it gets worse after a night of plowing non stop, but nothing I'v really worried about, but I do want to add a high amp alternator this summer.

7. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

I was having this problem on my '01 F150 with a 7'6" Boss V. But when I got a new battery the problem was solved! No dimming (and yes I have all the options on the truck)...

8. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

just curious isnt that a pretty good sized plow for a f150? how does it handle it?

9. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

Yes it does! I have not seen any problems using it. My dealer told me that his first plow truck was a F150 with a 7'6" V on it too! I did put tembrens on it. Check out these pics http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=91555&page=2. They are about 1/2-3/4 of the way down the page.

10. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

My lights dim pretty good too when I lift my 7.6V (04 Chevy 1500 CCSB Z71). My alt & battery are just fine, as the amps go right back to a bit over 14 as soon as I let off the UP button of the remote. That does take a lot of juice though to lift 700+lbs.

For those who are concerned of the weight of a 7.6V on a 1/2 ton, I'm a one vehicle operation and only do residentials... and don't treat my equipment like a rented mule. Plow just hit a year old and so far no issues with either the truck or the plow. With timbrens, and about 500-700lbs of ballast, it seems to hold it pretty well too.

11. Indy

Indy Senior Member

some other options on correcting your problem might go something like this.

Adding a 2nd battery if you don't have one
    increasing the size of ALL you cables, battery cables, plow power supply, ground
    add additonal grounds if you add the second battery
    also dbl check all your connections on your plow, the easier the power can flow the better off you will be......

Good luck
    Indy:salute:

12. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I have 2 trucks that are doing the same thing, one is a 97' F350 & the other is a 95' F-450. I am going to start by putting a new ground strap from the battery to the frame tomorrow & go from there. I just put the wiring in & checked the harness good & connections so I will start with the basics & go from there.