1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is This Normal???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by plowzilla, Dec 19, 2005.

1. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I have an older joystick/cable operated western. I have had it repaired (supposedly) twice. When its cold, It will not move at all. Last time this happened the repair man said water and gunk froze up on a small filter screen. He cleaned it last week and now its doing it again. It will not go up or side to side. It is cold, about 5- 10 degrees but it should still move right?? Any help would be appreciated. p.s. I noticed a small leak from the lift piston after I tried to raise it again!

2. mr.plow 2

mr.plow 2 Member

I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME LAST WEEK I CHANGED THE FLUID AND TURN THE BIG NUT ON TOP AND ADJUSTED THE CABELS AGAIN WORKS LIKE A CHAMP NOW :waving:

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Very typical. Seems to be happening to several guys here, including me. Especially if you're not cleaning it out regularly, which it sounds like if you've got got junk blocking the filter. You will likely have to flush it a couple of times. While you're at it, don't forget to angle the plow, manually, side to side to force all the old fluid out of the angle rams.

Ice will affect the operation of the plow.

4. R Thomas

R Thomas Junior Member

Same thing happened to me last week, drained all the fluid out of the angle rams ,hoses and pump(did have ice in the lines). Put in new fluid and works fine now

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Pull off the motor and clean the filter your self.
    It's very easy to do, just a little messy and change the fluid as suggested.
    When you hook up to your plow it is important to keep the couplers clean.
    Hope this helps..

6. john-boy

john-boy Member

ur seals on the lift cylinder r probably wore out letting water into ur pump, hence the freezing. this is very common on older pumps. pull it inside for a few hours and let it get warm, then flush it. flushing it outside wont get rid of the ice if its still solid. also try using the blue low temp oil instead of atf. works much better in cold temps.

7. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Thanks guys. I am going to pull the motor and see what we got.

8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

John boy thanks for the tip--Next year I swapout with the blue stuff!