1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTVLandscaping, Feb 13, 2011.

1. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I don't plow alot of commercial lots so maybe I'm not correct with my judgement. These pictures were taken at a local fast food restaurant I went to Sat. night with my girlfriend. We have not had plowable snow since Tuesday so I find this to be unacceptable. Obviously, my opinion doesn't matter since I don't write the check. I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks work like this is ok and if so, I guess I spend too much time being perfect. And those who wonder...I didn't lose a bid here and I certainly don't go out of my way to find this stuff, but I was there, camera in pocket like always. Girlfriend laughed at me.

2. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

I would be embarrassed as hell to leave that.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like the employees of the store are just shoveling the snow up to the bumpers.Looks ok to me.
  4. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Ya gotta have a clean step off and step on area. I look after fast food shops here, I do the walk first, then clean a foot away from the curb. With a 11 foot blade on my loader , I pull back the snow from that area .and continue plowing. Ya it happens here too. I tell my guys "I Wanna Summer Look on the Sidewalks and a clean step on/off. That is not Acceptable
  5. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

I only caught picture no 2. No 1 shows a curb stop. Thats the real problem. There is no need for it. It wouldnt stop a speeding Toyota anyway:jester:
  6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Ideally you would like to see the walk-throughs be at least 2x as wide. Those parking bumbers make it tough to get to that snow behind them, maybe they could run a blower behind there before it becomes an ice mtn., but I doubt that's in the budget. Definitely could look better, and be safer.
  7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

if its up to the employees for the walks then theres not much you can do about the snow between the walk and the bumper, its the snow on the other side of the parking bumper that is ugly.
  8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree about the snow on the parking side of the parking blocks. I have a couple commercial lots, that have the parking blocks just plain in the wrong location. On both lots, the owners, or managers don't want to pay me to shovel, or blow the snow, so they send employees out to do that during slow times. Anyone want to guess where they throw the snow? Yep right behind, or on top of the parking blocks, which makes my entire plow job look like a beginner just did it. I take alot of pride in my work, and I think I am going to drop both customers next year, just so I don't have to drive through the lots a couple days after the storm, and be half embarrassed.
  9. Watkins

Watkins Member

This is usually how my lots look, this one is only about 700 a month but it still gets coated when the salt trucks run because safety is always priority.

If I get sucked into a job for too low of a price I just take it for what it's worth, and what it's worth is advertisement. At that time I break even or get ahead just a lil bit and it's worth it.

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Get what ya pay for. Looks like he is forgoing someone plowing and having his employees shovel it.
  11. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Throw some parking stops in that lot about 2' away from the sidewalks and three feet apart, then take the picture again after it snows. Those things can be a real pita, especially with a big accumulation. We have a couple of lots where they are too close to the sidewalks to fit a blower, and have to be shoveled out... major PITA. Also as stated it depends if the walks are included.
  12. Watkins

Watkins Member

In the end ya know your right when you say they get what they pay for.

But what if people are raising their expectations and lowering the pay ? will we all be subject to follow suit ?

We can't afford to do that and if we try and compete then the poor man making 20k a year after taxes, insurance, equipment, workers comp and payroll will fail to exist.

Im the new guy too ( 2007 ) but I know exactly what everyone has done to achieve the larger commercial accounts only to fail because they underbid so drastically that it's not even accepted by the property owner.
  13. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

almost every other industry out there has needed to find ways to cut costs while bringing a superior product to market. look at the auto industry.

we just dont like to hear about it b/c its our industry. I've said it before and I'll say it again. From now on it's all about efficiency. how fast can you get the work done without a decrease in quality. this allows you to then take on more work.
  14. dpglandscapes

dpglandscapes Senior Member
    from 01982

you should have faked a fall, eaten for free
  15. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Do you code those jobs to advertising then? And just consider them an expense in your budget for the year?
  16. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

aggred, we have a lot that has those parking curbs about 18-24" before the sidewalks and they are a pain in the ass. We used to have the shovelers go behind them, and in between them, but they would be at the place an extra 1 hour or so, and we were losing out 3 hours of labor. The pm didnt really care, until we got the blizzard, and the snow was about 4 feet high along the sidewalks and you really couldnt park in the lot. I was running the skid, and we had a guy in a plow truck and a sidewalk guy there two nights in a row for about 6 hours each, before we finally got them all cleared out. There are a total of 35 parking spots. Those things are just a pain in the but.