1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this Necessary????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by alwayz-plowin, Mar 28, 2010.

1. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

This is a lco I dont have nothing against you...if your on here or not!
    Is all this necessary?? For 1 winter! Its not like this guy is salting highways! ;)
    Someone want to explain this?? haha

2. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

what is your point? the amount of salt he stocks? the fact that it is treated salt? the fact that not all of it is in a shed?

can you elaborate?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Kinda hard to tell but a guess would be around 175 ton. What's the problem I have 1 property that takes 5-7 ton per application, I burn through 15-20 ton per salting.
  4. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

i would say proper storage might be an issue.
  5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Jealousy will get you nowhere... :D
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If Mark O wasn't on 'vacation" from PS. he'd complain about you looking at his salt pile.:)
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Wait until you go through a winter where they run out of salt in Feb. We had 2 winters in a row like that. If I pile my shed with a backhoe I can get 300 tons in it. I would rather have 150 tons left over then run out.
  8. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I agree, storing is cheap.

Also, that is an advertisement... he is showing potential customers that he is well equipped to handle their property.
  9. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

True that is an advertisement! his customers know that he wont run out mid-season...im just saying how many yrds/ tons do you guys think that is??
    And Does salt go "bad" uncovered?? Never really had that much salt all at once! I wonder (since he is a landscape material Provider) if he sells that to other lco's:salute:
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Salt will go rock hard in the winter if it gets wet. If you leave it you can break it back up in the summer. I wouldn't leave my salt like that in the winter. No matter how fast you use it I would cover it somehow.

He looks like he is taking the salt from the pile on the right and piling it on the left. When he is done he may tarp it. That is how they store the salt on the docks here when it comes off the barges.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  11. liv

liv Junior Member

We keep about 200-300 tons on the ground, and burn through it all in 2-3 storms. I'd agree that's a little shy of 200.