1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is This My Fault?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TheKing, Jan 24, 2005.

?

ok so who's fault, so your answers don't get picked apart.

1. Mine

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. The guy who plowed the driveway

52 vote(s)
    82.5%
  3. My parents

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. TheKing

TheKing Junior Member

Due to a heated discussion between my parents and me I've decided to post this and ask what the pro's think, weather it helps my argument or prooves me wrong.

Last storm I left Saturday at around 2:00 in the afternoon, plowed till about 1:30, talked to my boss he said we will start again at 4 am. As I get home to my 1/4 mile driveway and the 2 feet of snow i go to plow it out and I cant really move due to my very bald tires. I probably could have cleared it if i really needed too but I was in no mood to get stuck at that time of the night and figured I'd get it tomorrow, or have my buddy do it for me( doing this, I knew all well that my dad's Avalanche ha 4wd and could blaze down that driveway if needed.) come home the next day around 5pm only to see my driveway has been plowed. Call my parents some one else has plowed our driveway and took out half of our newly build retaining wall. This guy plows our neighbors' driveway and maybe my parents talk to him 3 time a year, he saw my driveway was unplowed and wanted to be nice and plowed it for us, in the process he took out our new, beautiful retaining wall. Now my parent's point of view is that it is 100% my fault because "if the driveway was already plowed he wouldn't have taken out the wall!"

Now it wasn't like I was just putting around town i have25+ accounts of my own to take care of and work for someone Else who is doing about 30 commercial accounts and I am his only help. All Gas stations, Dunkin dough-nuts, Burger king, stuff that has to be kept plowed out.

I do realize that if our driveway wasn't plowed this would not of happend and if I had better tires I would have been able to plow our driveway alot easier and I know the tires were my own stupied mistake.

If I am wrong in this situation please let me know, if you believe i'm right please help my argument. Parents please put yourself in my Mom and Dad's positions and let me know what you think

2. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Junior Member

If your tire were so bald, how did you do your "other" accounts?? Sounds to me that you were just too tired to do it?? If it were me, I always do my "Free-be's" when I do my paying customers. So I would fix the wall. Just my 2cents!

3. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I would say it's not since no one is to come on your land at there free will to do what ever they want.

I think this guy better be good at putting up walls or he might need to start plowing for monety so he can pay for the wall to be fixed payup

I do have a question how are you plowing with bad tires and unable to plow your drive way? :confused:

I had 2 driveways plowed on me when I showed up for the 2nd pass I told the owners just in case there was damage better loosing a few bucks by telling them then being blamed for something.

4. TheKing

TheKing Junior Member

Yeah I had to sub-out alot of my work, lost a lot of money, was my own stupid mistake I was planning on having him open up my driveway when he had a second. but my 750$ tires costed me another 500 bucks now. But anyway can we stick to the subject.

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i dont think it is your fault. you were tired and knew your parents could get out if you couldnt plow it, so why not plow it the next day after some sleep. my mom is 30 minutes away in good weather and i usually dont get to her drive till early the next day, or even after i have slept and she understands this. i plow her drive for free and cant always get to it right away. I also plow her neighbor, i have told her that i cant get to it right away to and she says, if it is that bad out i dont need to be out. nice older lady.

6. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I think it's your parents fault - if they hadn't built the wall, the plow guy would not have knocked it down :)

-Greg

7. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

The broken wall isn't your fault if someone else broke it. Your parents are probably just pissed at themselves for letting some cowboy clean it up so they jumped on you saying it's your fault. On the other hand though, if you live in their home and cleaning the driveway has been labeled your responsibility by your parents, then you should have arranged to sub it out and make sure it got done. I'm assuming you're a young person who lives with your parents and they expected you to take care of the driveway? Maybe I'm wrong. Ne-way, the broken wall is the fault of person who broke it. Hope it all works out for the best for you!

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I am a parent and Grandfather.

No it was not your fault. That would be like saying if you were hit from behind and them say'ing it would not have happened if you were not driving.

I would offer to help fix it. But in no way should you have to put out any monies. Whomever plowed it for free should take full blame. He did it not society and not you. Make sure this other guy is also told to stay off your property.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, this from a guy who is likely older than your parents - I have kids in their 30s. Also that I'm a "plow guy". So, I've looked at this from the point of view of:

1.A parent who has kids who "could" do something

2. A Plow Guy

3. A guy who has (on rare occasion) done plowing "just to be nice"

Repairs to the retaining wall are completely and 100% the responsibility of the guy who did the plowing. It was his responsibility to locate obstructions, to plow so as to avoid damage, and to plow in a responsible manner. He did none of these things. He took it upon himself to plow your parents' drive (whether they wanted it plowed or not) and in doing so caused a financial loss. It was not your responsibility to plow the drive, so you could not be responsible for it not being plowed. Just because he's was being a Good Samaritan, doesn't let him off the hook for damage he causes.

Are your parents trying to avoid a confrontation with this guy?

This is exactly why I very rarely plow for free and never for a reduced fee. Whether it's damage to their property or my equipment, it seems something will go wrong.

10. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

accidents happen!

In my opinion, accidents happen. I think if it's your parent's property, then they should pay to get it fixed. I don't blame you for not plowing their driveway in the middle of the night, you're tired, and they're sleeping. But maybe you should have done it the next morning BEFORE you did other's. If you can do other driveways with bald tires, you should be able to do your's. After everybody cools down, get everybody involved and fix it (if possible) and if the guy who did the damage offers the help, then all the better! And if hey don't, then ask him not to plow your driveway anymore.

11. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

ok guys this is too funny its not your prob because the friend did the work. my dad is in his late 70's and we worked together for many years this is the first year i have not called him out to help i have only done his drive once this season he is more worried about me getting some much needed sleep after i get done with lots than doing his drive. i run for about 4-6 days after a snow 16-18 hours a day sometimes i don't come home for days (sleep in the truck) but one thing i do is give him chemicals to treat the drive so it wont be so bad and he has a snow blower there just in case its to bad so it sounds like to me he just wanted it done at his time not yours and if he has the 4x4 than what was the prob with a little snow ?????? just my 2 cents...

12. TheKing

TheKing Junior Member

Hello, this is the King's mom. The King lives with his parents and PAYS for NOTHING!!! He gets a full ride to county college for 2 years a, cell phone paid, clothes. He is a good kid but does not have to do much while living in a very nice home. ALL we require is that he mows the lawn and because he told his dad to not worry about fixing OUR plow truck, plow our driveway. Our driveway is over 1/4 mile long and we're used to having it plowed timely. Is is too much to expect to be a priority on The King's customer list???? If he had plowed (even partially) the driveway sometime during the storm...the retaining wall would not be destroyed!!!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  13. farmboss088

farmboss088 Junior Member

I know what you are going through. Its not your fault that another guy made the damage. But the way some parents think if it had been done by you in the fdirst place it would not have happened.I plow my the driveway for my parents, and no matter what, it is my fault if something happens even if i had nothing to do with it. My dad got in a truckload of firewood and rather than putting the wood away from the driveway he puts it right where I pile all the snow. Needless to say the wood pile got tagged with some roll-off and got knocked over. I had to hear it for that. What would happen if you didnt do it evry time then they would appreciate what you do?

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Living there for free has nothing to do with this though. I assume he lives there in the summer as well? Yes you have spoiled him. His fault? If you have been paying for his living than that is what it is. Yes you should expect work for his living arrangements. My son is busy year round with chores and he know's chores are tied to using the vehicle he drives. He also knows he will be paying some type of room and board at his 18th birthday. Even if he is going to school. I still would not put any blame on him for the damaged wall. Yes he should have plowed your drive. But he did not.

It is totally the fault of the person that damaged it. Hopefully your son will offer to help repair said wall but expecting him to do so or blaming him would be teaching him not responsibility but how to blame others.

Just my 2cents. But I was always blamed for what my brother did when we were younger. Even if I was miles away I was responsible for what he did. Only thing that taught me was revenge. Believe me my brother could tell you the torture stories to.

15. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

The same sort of thing happened at my dad's shop. He owns a machine shop, and alot of car dealerships are his clients.

One such dealership was doing runs using a truck with a plow. Just to be nice, he plowed out my dad's drive.

However, while pushing snow up to the garage door, he pushed a steel plate underneath the door into the shop, knocking over engine heads, crankshafts, etc. etc.

So, to apply that to your situation, it would be my dad's fault because that steel plate was there.

Which equals, in my not-so-professional opinion: bovine excrement!

16. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Omg

Kings MOM iam sorry that your worried more about the wall than your sons well being he was out doing his contracts that he is responsible for and that shows that he has a good head on about business if he was to tired to plow his own drive and he knew that you have a 4x4 to drive thru the snow he made the right choice. to me your only thinking about what you need not what he needed, sleep is a hard thing to come buy in the snow business during a storm and if he is going to school and trying to plow also he must be worn out. its the other guys fault for the damage not your sons ease up on himnot his fault........

17. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

If it is anybody's fault it is the guy who did the driveway. But it sounds like this is your truck and you take it home with you. If so did you drop the plow on your way out to go to work? If yes could the snow that you plowed have hidden the wall? Yes, your parents have a 4x4 who cares. You should have done the driveway. But the DAMAGE is not YOUR fault. I am not going to go into why I think you should have done the driveway that is something you need to figure out. Yes I know we are all tired when we get done. So I am sorry, don't give me that excuse. As for the excuse of the tires being bald you should know better than to have bald tires in the winter.

18. Firebrands

Firebrands Junior Member

Sounds to me like you are "The Prince". Technically....No it is not your fault. It is your parents fault for believing that their son will come through for them in a bind. That being said, if you would have caused the damage would you have had to pay for the repairs??? I think we are all aware that even on our "Freebie" accounts if we break it, we buy it. So, the culprit should pay for the damage he caused, even if it was in done in good faith. And you should feel bad that your benefactors weren't taken care of in a efficient manner. I only wish I could have been a guest at "Casa De King" when I was your age. Good luck, and my condolences to Ma King.

19. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

i dont think it is right for any parent to charge thier children rent! especially at 18 . how the hell can he save money to move out if you are charging him. :nono: :nono: :dizzy:

20. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

this is classic

a guy doing a freebee blasted a retaining wall. serves him right.. I took my wife on my last two jobs( 30+ inches of snow) she says to me how do you know where the driveway is? because this is my fourth storm and I signed these people up in november! the reflectors marked the hazards. so screw him and let him fix the wall. I have had it with the " helpers" this year.