1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is this light bar good?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Freddy130, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

Looking for new lightbars/ or warning lights for the two trucks. I was searching around the net and found this light bar what do you guys think of it? http://storesense2.megawebservers.com/HS4886/Detail.bok?no=20. Or if anyone has any other suggestions for warning lights around the same price let me know.

RC

2. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

looks good and it has the side work lights.. thats a really good price

3. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

Nice bar

I like that bar the only thing i would suggest is getting the center with a rotator and geting clear domes with amber filters on the rotators. if you like led i would check out the led bar on the bottom of the page it is smaller but would be awesome

4. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

The thing i like about this one is the price compared to what it offers...obviously LED and clear lights are better however for the dollar to dollar value this seems like a good option. The only thing I don't like about them are the siren areas in the centres but i think a little bit of black paint will help that.

RC

5. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

That things gotta be awfully chinsey for 144 dollars though.

Seriously.

But for that price you could put a new one on every year.

6. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Nice looking light. Too big for my taste, but to each their own. Nice though

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It draws 18 amps, costs $144, and is a full-sized 48" lightbar. Sounds like junk to me.

Why not find a nice mini-lighbar. Only draw 8-10 amps, cost around $100, and are usually very well constructed. I've had an 15" ECCO Evolution 5135, a Federal Signal Highlighter and a 22" Federal Signal Turbo Beam 2000. All of those were great lights, low draw and all cost right at or around $100.

[​IMG]

8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

the only downside to that fullsize bar is its gonna draw a lot of amps

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Keep in mind a lot of these full sized light bars draw some serious amps. The light bar paired with a plow drawing a ton of amps isn't always a good thing unless you are in the battery and altenator business. I plowed with a guy who had a full sized Vector bar, this freak'in thing was so bright especially at 4am, he was told to take it off or don't come back.

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

No its not, its over sized and "clumsy" looking.....There is a reason that those lightbars are slowly being phased out from emergency vehicles and replaced by led and strobe lightbars.

11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I still like the look of some of the newer halogen full size bars. I know Federal Signal and big name companies like that still have some decent ones to offer.

12. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

http://speedtechlights.com/videos.html here is a link to the video of it go through the product menu to the STL Hawk model...for 144 dollars it seems like it has a big bang for the buck with the three differnt light combinations.

RC

13. LLM Ann Arbor

Consider that every other lightbar like that goes for $750 dollars or more.

Like I said....this thing is chinsy or theres something about it thats wrong.

You know the old saying. If its too good to be true it probably is.

14. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

Yes however even if it isn't the best which obviously it isnt for 144 i can put a new one on the truck every year if i wanted to.

RC

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

You didn't read a single response to your initial question, did you?

16. LLM Ann Arbor

The funny thing is he replied to me with what I said earlier.

lol

But like mentioned the amp draw might damage components.

17. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

After watching that video, Im even less impressed with there product line.

18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Yea, I did catch that, funny.

I think he just wants to have a lot of lights on his truck. I'll be the first to tell you that less can be more. That's is a debate for another time. He could buy two of any of the mini-bars I mentioned (and many others) having an initial investment of around $200, and not have to replace them for many years.

19. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Even if he wanted to invest a good chunck for a Whelen Mini it he would be far better off. Very small and would produce probably 8X as much light for only 3X more. It would be a lot less of a hassle than replacing that one every two storms. When something is $700+ off, something is wrong. I wouldn't take that if they were giving them away... well, free is free.:D

20. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Hey freddy.

I'd personally stick to the lightbar like you use on your blue chev,its simple and to the point.If your looking for a quality lightbar have you ever stopped in to Parts For Trucks? they have a ton of lightbars and if you don't see one there you like they could order you in one?

Anyways happy plowing...well....if there was snow :rolleyes: