1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this legal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zackman, Dec 14, 2009.

1. zackman

zackman Member

My husbands best friend does snow plow also he was called today about being sued for a slip and fall from last Jan :angry: Is that legal??? If he knew about this he would of went back and took pictures of the area. Can they wait this long ? How can you defend yourself now that it is almost a year later???

I remember him saying to us that at this place the people would come out and yell at him for plowing so late at night or early in the morning:realmad:

I hope his insurance company will fight like crazy for this one..

Anyone had any experiences about something like this?

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

May vary from state to state....here they have up to two years to file.

Hope you keep good records. Good luck to you.

3. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

some states you have three years to file and up to 6 years to make claim. always keep your day sheets and document storms, amounts, conditions, etc. and also note on customer account any conversations ie: time to plow, how much to plow, when to plow, and complaints. it could save you alot in a claim.

4. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yep that is why it is important to document what you did when, and why and KEEP IT!

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Yes anyone can sue anyone for anything. As stated the statute of limitations varys depending on location. Hopefully your friend had insurance and the insurance company will now "go to bat" for him.

6. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

in MA there is a 7 year window to file any type of liability claim

7. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Why can't people just watch their step? If I slip on something I blame myself for not being observant. They are just looking to make a quick buck probably.payup

8. zackman

zackman Member

Luckily I write EVERYTHING down. I forget a lot of stuff so I always write what was done, when it was done, who did it, stuff like that. My hubby calls it in and I write it down. I think I am going to follow up with pictures, if I can get out after the storms...

My daughter slipped the other day at college but she said she would not complain because she knows how hard it is..she now understands what her father does...

9. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

Are u sure it isn't 3 year statute?

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I doubt they make that stick. They didn't help themselves by waiting to file. Not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once!

11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

2 years is the statue of limitations in any lawsuit here in Ohio. So the plantiff has 2 years in order to file the lawsuit in said county. This standard practice across many states. Plus if he knew there was a slip and fall when it happened he should have gone and taken a picture then JUST IN CASE of something like this happening. I was sued a year after I had an accident with my old companies truck. We won in court. This guy had filed 3 lawsuits in less then a year. All accidents and he was the cause of 2 of them.

12. zackman

zackman Member

This is the first he is hearing anything about it. He had no idea... He just was called today from the property management..

I think people are just sue happy.... I wonder why someone would wait so long to file! probably forgot about it and then oh winter is here let me sue for Xmas gifts...

What the hell were they waiting for!!

He did say he kept everything written down so maybe he will be ok...

13. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

My insurance agent told me that any "Act Of God" they will not pay. They would have to prove without a dought neglect by the contractor and that is to hard to prove/fight in court. If you salt a lot no matter how much salt you use you can still slip and fall thus you can never be 100% sure no one would fall.

I had a Familey Dollar mang complain everytime I salted there lot saying that was taking from there bonus, so I was contacted my contractor saying only salt when she asks, well guess what the very next dam storm I plowed and never salted and an employee slipped and fell, I got a call from her yelling that I didnt salt and she was going to sue I told her what I thought of her and Family Dollar, turned in my paper work stating they wanted me to salt per request and then when they tried to file a claim my ins wouldnt even file a claim told them it was a act of god and they didnt ok salt to be put down that day.

Hope it helps.

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My advice - Get a lawyer NOW and let him/her handle it. Don't get (emotionally) involved. Don't just "let the insurance co's lawyer handle it". They're working for the insurance company - not you.

15. zackman

zackman Member

last question then I will let his wife worry about it. If the insurance won't cover something as and "act of god" does that mean they can come after the contractors (well us as the contactors)? or is that it, it ends??

If it were me I think I would have a lawyer look into it, but thats just me I am a worry wart...

16. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

7 year statue of limitations

17. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

not a lawyer, but i have had some experience keeping in mind i am from Canada
    -they waited a awful long time to claim, and they well have to explain WHY to a judge
    -they well have to have some proof, pictures, etc, and be able to prove they were taken at the time of incident
    -Scott's is right, they well have to prove that the circumstances were in your control and that you were negligent, i am optomistic that you have a strong case

18. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

" I didn't think it was that bad and I didn't know who I had to contact. Will be the answer for why they waited to file. I deal with workmans comp. all to often. Happens all the time guy is not clean and know he's getting a drug test. Wait a few weeks to sober-up then say OOOHHH MY BACK!!!!! I work in IL so the courts almost always side with the idiot.

19. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

My insurance guy tells me the same thing as Scotts reported. He also said that they have successfully defended 3 slip and falls in the past two years and even collected legal fees fro the plaintiffs in all 3 cases. So I tend to believe what he tells me.

20. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

see next post

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009