1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this how the cutting edges on the wings are supposed to sit?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by maelawncare, Dec 11, 2008.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Seems to me that they are out just a little bit too much. And i couldnt find any pics of anybody elses. What do you guys think?

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

Looks ok to me ;.

are you talking about the space between the wing cutting edge and where it passes over the main cutting edge ? That looks ok to me
  3. maelawncare

yes. it just seems wider since the new edges.

also when the wings are in the scoop position. are they supposed to be about an inch off the ground?
  4. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Your wings should sit on the ground just the same as the main edge does. Is the gap even ,or just the wing tip off the ground? Are all three of the edges new?
  5. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

The gap in your pictures is a bit much but should be 1/2" or so from the main edge. But with all new edges they should all touch the ground until after your first push. Then the outer most edges of your wings will not due to wear.
  6. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Hard to tell from these pic. But looks to me like the curb guards are carrying most of the weight and holding the wings foward.
  7. deadogwalkin

deadogwalkin Member

Is the red/orange piece the curb guard? I have never seen them!
  8. maelawncare

THeir carbide cutting edges. improve the life of the edge by about 4x
  9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Were the wing cutting edges bent out to make room for the bolt sticking out the back that is holding on the carbide?

Mine only have about a 1/2 clearance to the main edge.
  10. maelawncare

the carbides are welded on.
  11. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Who did the wing upgrade???
  12. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

mine does the same thing
  13. maelawncare

jerre from jerres service in erie
  14. 4evergreenlawns

As I thought.

What kind of waer have you seen to date??

Funny thing is I spent about an hour talking with the Winter equipment people about how they strongly reccomend against welding their product to anything.

Hope it works out. I am working on something more advanced and will get some pictures up once I can coin a name for the upgrade.

Best, Ron G.
  15. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I have em as well. Best thing since sliced bread. And I also called Winter and they said nothing about not welding. Jealous????
  16. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Funny Ron,

I spent about two hours at the Winter Factory the other day. The plates on the castings are welded to them. The carbide is welded into the castings. The plates and castings are then welded to the T-1 wings. Fully endorsed by them.

17. 4evergreenlawns

As soon as I mentioned I was looking to do some experiementing with welding these to cutting edges to Blizzard plows I was asked to talk with their tech guy. Ron did mention you were there. Also talked about the carbon rates of the steel and talked about gettting the correct bolt aligment as that would be the perfered method.

So I am going with some blanks and will try a few different configurations of welded and bolted. He is willling to stamp out a pattern if I can get him some data on what I am looking for in the way of placement.

Also talked about the angle of the stamped bolt hole and using the existing bolt holes as a place for fillling with weld for improved penitration. But he did state their product is designed to be a bolt for the best placement to provide the best extended cuttting edge hours. Eric has a guy with a press so I know we can try coming up with a bolt pattern.

Ron was very helpful and was also concerned about adding weight to the wing edge and what the wing piston would handle in the way of addtional weight. Might of been an over sight during your visit. Seemed like something he had given some thought and he had many questions about wearing patterns I was seeing on my plows.

I am looking for something more then just welding the Extendor to the wing edge. Eric and I have given this alot of consideration and now that I am also running a SW I see the anlgle of the cutting edges running curbs much smoother.

I think the angle of the wing on a Power plow when running a curb in scoop places the Extendor in a position to be biting into things like expansion joints or curb inperfections and could cause wing and slidebox damage at speeds. Seeing how I am running 7 Blizzards Plows now I need something designed to be more forgiving and Eric and I think we might have come up with a use for one their product lines that have been proven on Muni plows to be longer lasting and very forgiving. Also keeping in mind the Extendor line was desinged for light duty plows and I dno not really consider the type of service we are doing as light duty. I am thinking of something more in line with what Boss has done with there V plow cutting edges.

Also I am looking for some side by side comparison to collect data on 810/8611LP with/without this improvement to see what the actual extended life will be.

Should have something running on lots by next week. I will get some pics up here when I have the final demo.

Best wished to you Tom and your familes during this holiday season. Also congrats on passing number 100 in the Eire Special line. Great hearing from you.

Ron G.
  18. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

just go with a 5/8" main cutting edge, the wings will only wear as fast as the main edge. the wings are ment to wear this way to reduce stress on them. if they wear slower than main they will carry the whole weight of the plow
  19. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Nice, thought, but not true at all. My wings with doubles made my plow have a real nice smile with only about 10 hours on the blade. The xtendors are the best thing since sliced bread.
  20. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Ask Mark O about that theory.