1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this good advice?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by superdog1, Feb 11, 2015.

1. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I was also told today that if you replace the brass (bronze?) bushing at the base of the pump motor every 2 or 3 years (whether it is bad or not?), your motor will last a lot longer. It makes sense to me, as the main reason a lot of the motors fail on Fisher and Western is when that bushing wears out, the motor starts to spin off center and the windings hit the magnets. Smoke, sometimes fireworks and the motor pukes. Not a fun day, Lol. Besides, the bushings are fairly cheap and very easy to replace in about 30 minutes or so unless you break off the motor mounting bolts. :cry: If you remove them every 2 years and put never seize on the threads, that shouldn't be an issue? I do this to every pump, motor or new plow period but..........( put never seize on the threads of all the bolts I can get too that is ;) )

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If your gunna do that might as well replace the brushes.
    So the brushes have nothing to do with the majority of motor failures? Or water intrusion?

I stopped antiseezing years ago, been using dielectric grease on the bolts and motor base.

3. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

i just keep the head gear covered all the time when not in use never had a motor problem units probably only exposed 20 days or less in a yr all be it harsh weather

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015