1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this gonna be enough truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Crimson850, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Crimson850

Crimson850 Junior Member

Thinking about adding to our fleet. The truck is a 2004 GMC sierra Denali with quadrasteer. It is a 1500 HD which they dont make any more. has a 6.0 gas. It has quadrasteer they also quit making that. What it is,is all 4 wheels turn left and right. anyways The western dealer here says that it will hold a 8'6 Pro plow. I just dont know...I mean it is still a half ton truck. BUT the 8'6 is only 20 pounds more than the 8' and he has the 8'6 in stock-installed for 5500. but anyways if I wanted the 8 (which he doesnt have in stock) i have to pay a 400 freight fee. But my main question is this truck gonna be able to support an 8'6 plow ok?
  2. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Look at the price and availability of front end/rear end parts before you put any plow on that truck. Supposedly very expensive (why they quit making it) and very hard to get (as a result of not making them).
  3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

that price seems high, id shop around.
  4. Brian in MO

Brian in MO Junior Member
    from NE MO

I know a guy that just traded one of these in. He had a part that steers the rearend go out an it was extremely exspensive to get fixed:eek:. The potential repairs alone would keep me from hanging a plow on it.:mechanic:
  5. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

If the truck is a good deal then get it. if the rear goes out just put a fixed rear in it and keep on goin the 1500hd is a half ton with 3/4 suspension and axel configuarations tranny is a 1500 series with a bigger cooler
  6. Crimson850

Crimson850 Junior Member

Yea I have the truck already and bought it new in 04 and love it never any problems really. I meant adding to the fleet cause I dont have a plow on that yet
  7. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 with plows on them. No problems and happy with them.
  8. Crimson850

Crimson850 Junior Member

you have plows on a Sierra Denali with quadrasteer or just a GMC with quadrasteer?What size blade
  9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Don't know if I would throw a plow on a 4 wheel steer truck. Seems like it could get expensive fast.
  10. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry Crim, not quad steer just 1500HD. 9 poly meyers and an 8'2 boss V.
  11. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I believe its a half ton truck, suspension and all. Rear axle is a Dana 44 front. He will need a set of Timbrens on the front for sure.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  12. RipT

RipT Senior Member

I have an '05 Chevy 1500HD with QS, but do not plow with it. It is really what they used to call a 2500 (non-HD). Front end and trany should handle that plow OK with Timbrens and tighten up the bars a bit. Any trouble with the QS rear end will be much $$$$$ as said above. I have not had any rear end issues, but you would be pushing it harder in plow service. I will probably sell or trade mine in this coming year as I really do not need the QS, although it is really neat on a long WB truck.
  13. MrSnow

MrSnow Junior Member
    from Indiana

I have a 1994 Dodge 1500 upgraded with a wesport1 ton suspension, larger trans cooler, alternator, and I did not upgrade the axles or rear end. I put on a Boss 8'6 Super Duty and carry a pallet (ton) of salt each time out. Been doing this for few years now with no problems. Then again my truck wasn't made on Monday or Friday!! :dizzy:
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Is that extended cab? A RCSB with QuadraSteer would rule in driveways.

Maybe look at a cooler for the rear hydraulic circuit, and synthetic fluid.

To answer your most direct question, that's alot of plow for a half ton. But, as mentioned, not much more weight than a 8 footer, which is usually not much more weight than a 7 1/2 footer.

Price seems high for straight blade. Do you have a Sno-Way dealer around?
  15. MrSnow

MrSnow Junior Member
    from Indiana

Guess I guess I missed the quad steer part,, sorry, disregard my post earlier then.. I was of no help.. LOL
  16. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

I am so jealous you are going to have a quadrasteer truck with a plow on it.. IMO one of the best truck platforms GM ever put together. I wish they would somehow do it with the new Sierra HD/Silvy HD
  17. D&E

D&E Senior Member

The dealer is going to charge you frieght to get an item in stock in their store? WTF?

Time for a new plow dealer.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

check the front axle weight ratings and limits and make sure your plow will not exceed those to much lol. goodluck with whatever you decide to do
  19. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I think the 1500hd is just a light duty 2500 they use to make. 8600 gvw and a 4500 front axle and a 6000 rear axle.
    It has a dana 60 rear and the 9.25 front. it will handle the plow easy enough and I have yet to see many in need of workon the rear steer. GM stopped selling them because of the sales, nothing to do with them breaking.
  20. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

The Quadrasteer trucks were basically 1500HD's or the old 2500's, they do not have a D-44 in the rear either rather it is a version of the D-60 front. I have never seen one with a plow but would love to try one with a blade. I drove several of them when i was at the dealer and they were awesome to drive in tight places.