1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this going to cause problems?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by cold_and_tired, Jan 17, 2011.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I finally got my winch mount in the mail and decided to install it tonight. Upon installing the winch, I noticed that it was offset to one side by about 3".

Will the offset cause problems with raising and lowering the plow?

I would have to fabricate a way to elevate the winch about 1/2" and drill new holes in the mount to get it to sit in the center. Not a big deal but if I knew it would have been this much work, I would have just fabbed everything in house.

Here is a pic of how it sits now.

winch.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I would do whatever it takes to have the fairlead rollers in the center. It will cause the cable to wind in on one side which in turn will more then likely destroy the cable in short time. Are you sure it's mounted in the right direction? I'm not familiar with Polaris or the winch you're using. Regardless, you want it smack dab in the center if you want ANY life (short lived anyway) out of the cable. That's one of the reasons I went with a 2in strap. I've had to cut a good 10-15ft of cable off my winch from it getting all mangled on the spool.

3. matstang

matstang Member

Not only does it not look right at all, but as GregH said it's going to cause problems. Can you shift it over where it should be and make your own mounting holes?