1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is this fiesable?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnboy82, Jul 31, 2001.

1. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

i got into a car accident with my truck yesterday and i dont know what is going to happen. i am going to go tomorow to my dealer to see about a new one. i just decided tonight - f550 4x4 11' dump body. but i want to get the L pack as well. so that is a 13' body. and i want to plow with it. not residentials. but i am trying to line up a larger shopping mall across the street from my shop. so for me to go with that truck, a 10' plow, and a 3yd. V box, is it even possible to plow a lot? a big lot.
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

The only place you'd want to use an F550 IS on a big lot. Like you said, "not res".

Whether or not it would be feasible for the lot you mention depends on many different factors, such as size of lot, how the lot is configured, where you're going to be able to stack snow, etc.

Having no idea what the lot looks like, I can't say for sure if that F550 is the ticket - but if it costs the kind of $$$ I think it's going to, you'll probably want to line up more than 1 lot for plowing! ;)
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

That will have about the same wheelbase as my truck, I have the L pack and a 8' body, and I plow alot of snow with that truck.
  4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry to hear about the accident... were you hurt?

As far as the F550 goes, it's still for the most part "Pickup Sized". If you were thinking about buying an International with a dump body, that would be a different story. You should be fine in the medium to large sized parking lots. Since the truck is a little on the large side, when you're choosing lots to bid on, I'd look for ones with long, straight runs (or ones where you can do "laps") to minimize the amount of turning around you're going to do.

Congrats on the possibility of a new truck... sorry it had to happen this way though. Are you going to get a V-plow?

5. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

I agree with 75 thats a big truck too big for residential but it certainly can be used for commercial lots.Go physically to the lot you are thinking about plowing and try to figure out how much backing up you will have to do in the lot,and where you would have to back up.With a truck that size the backing up is the hard part because you will have a significant blind spot.Think also why do you need a truck that big is it for landscaping or construction.In otherwords do you really need a bed that big.Remember its only a 550 so it maxs out at 18000 which includes the wieght of the body.You can easily overload a 9ft body if you are carrying stone or other construction material.If you just need the volume in the bed well then i think it would make sense.If you want snow to be an integral part of your business you might think about an L-Pak with a 9 or 10ft bed.
    Go to your dealer and do the weights.Obviously an 11ft bed wieghs more than a 9 or 10ft bed but then you have also cut down on the capacity the truck can carry because the physical wieght went up and your carrying wieght is reduced(sorry cant think of the terms here) Think about it are you really going to get the use out of an 11 ft bed?
  6. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

the reason that i want the 11' body w/ chip box and the L pack with the gang boxes is because i am trying to get more into the tree work, and somewhat into landscaping. so mulch and chips dont weight that much. stone, if i can still haul 3 yards or 4 yards of stone i am more than happy. that is still more than any other truck that size can haul. plus also i am not big into stone work, or unilock or whatever. i do tree work and landscaping (planting / restorations / pruning / etc.) so in storage the L pack is worth it. and the 11' over the 9' is a big difference when hauling chips. that can in some places mean the difference between one trip or two. this lot will be rather large. but again, we are talking 201, right? well right now i am gonna head up to the dealer. so i will yack at you guys later.
  7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I own 5 F 550s thats plow. You can plow residential if ya take your time.

Here is my set up.

F 550 Regular Cab 4X4 7.3 powerstroke and auto trans
    9' body, 9.5' Fisher V-plow, The sander is up to you.

If you want a 11' body, I would get a truck with an 11' body and have 36-48" tool boxes on both sides of the truck. Almost the same storage space as an L pack.

If ya know ya want to do landscaping and tree work, and just plow big lots. My advice is buy an F 650, cost less than an F 550. An F 650 With a 10'plow, and a load of sand and on spot chains plowing won't be a problem.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2001
  8. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

The co. that I plow with has a 550 with a 11' dump, It's a great truck and works realy well on parking lots, roads, they even plowed a few drives with it before. The L pack would be nice but with the 11' body the turning radias is alreay pretty big. I've also chipped into it before and it works real well. The 11' body can hold 13 yards of mulch if it's loaded right. The blizzard plow is perfect for that truck. It's a strong truck for it's size too, it pulls the skid steer and enclosed trailers like there not even there. It'll even pull a backhoe.
  9. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

i talked with my guy over at the dealer. its a 201" wheel base. that is a big truck alright. they had one on the lot from a guy having it fixed. he said it will be at least 10 weeks for the truck. 2002 though. he expects that the cost will be around 60K, so lets say between 60 and 65. i will put down 20K. i did see the truck, and without a plow it is massive. he did say to go with a 650. but i told him that i was aware that to put 4x4 into a 650 is a 8 - 9 thousand dollar option. geoff, you know about this, what would you do, because i know that you have some 6's are any of them 4x4. because i do the tree work and the other stuff. i know that i need the 4x4. anybody here plow with a 201 dually?
  10. GeoffD

We have all 2WD F 650. The 4X4 shouldn't be needed even for tree work. 4X4 on a truck the size of an F 650 will get you in more trouble then good. We take our F 650s off the paved road all the time, and with a low gear rear end, as long as you aren't in a swamp 2wd will be fine.

I would buy the F 650, and put a 10' plow on it with an under the tailgate spreader. Add some on-spots chains and you should be fine for plowing

FYI I have sean new F 650s with bodies for less then 36K. If you bought a left over 2001, for 36. You could buy a used 4X4 pick up for the few times you need to go 4X4. If it was me I wouldn't be taken an F 550 off roading. I would buy a used 3/4 to beater.

Feel free to e-mail me for more info.

If you take an F 550 off road even with 4X4 you will get stuck. The truck weighs so much that a few wrong moves and you are all done.

11. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

unfortunatley though, the 650 is just too big. for the tree work, its great. and for the landscaping it would be nice. however for loading logs, or for doing really small stuff, fert, cut grass, etc. its just too big (height wise) as well as its just too massive. the 550 is big for that stuff too. however its got a more comfortable feeling that driving up in a big 650. what is the gvw difference on those anyways? and with the 650, would i need a CDL? i believe CDL over here is 26K.
  12. GeoffD

NO cdl for the F 650, if you have hydro breaks. 26,000 GVW. Cdl starts at 26001.

13. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I would go with the shorter wheel base, with the 11 ' body and underbody tool boxes. The turning radius would be much better suited for plowing than with the longer wheel base. Also the shorter wheel base is easier to back up with a chipper. Good luck.
  14. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Geoff's right - it IS possible to use the F550 for residential, it would just depend a great deal on the individual driveway. There's driveways around here that my "little" (standard 131.5" wheelbase Chevy with the w-i-d-e rear axle) dually would have a hard time fitting into.

Depending on where you are, I've heard some customers may object to even a regular 1-ton dually in their driveway!

The visibility when reversing issue is a good point too, I'm used to using mirrors from a few years driving the big trucks and the last 4+ driving welding rigs with the machine mounted behind the cab - it's second nature for me. Put the wrong person in the truck, could become an expensive "oops"................ :eek:
  15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with Geoff. We have a F 800 (which is now a F 650) and it is a great truck to plow with. We also have a 750 same thing. With the 650, look for one with the lo-profile tires, that will lower the bed height down quite a bit, that's what our 800 is. We had the same concerns with be height for loading, offloading, etc. We have a 10' dump on it, a 10' Monroe plow on it and we can get about 6 tons of salt on it and be legal. We've had it for 3 or 4 years and have plowed through everything with it. The turning radius is better than a 2WD 55o with a 201" WB. These are alot more truck than the 550's are.