1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this customer wrong???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BigBoyPlowin, Nov 11, 2013.

1. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Ok guys let me know what you think!
    The past 3 days we've been getting SEVERAL BS calls from residents in an association that we serve. Once we talked to a few of the customers, we found out that the BOD sent a copy of our signed contract for the Snow, as a direct mailer with their newsletter to every resident in their Associa.

Is this the Norm or what?
    Debating on whether or not to give the president a call...

Let me know what you guys think!

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Did you piss someone off ? Seems as though someone is trying to create problems for you.

3. BigBoyPlowin

Lol we've had this one for 7 years.

Only a few complaints out of 300 houses like not Getting close enough to mailboxes, the normal complaint about the pile at the end of the driveway and finally, one person says we go too fast since sparks fly from our plow...

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I work for a couple of HOA’s and the cost for my services is public knowledge for the residents in the association.
    In the HOA I’m in (I don’t work in my subdivision) all expenditures for services is voted on and published in newsletters.
    For the calls it seems out of the norm but when there’s 300 different personalities involved you’re bound to have several tools.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

What are the calls about?

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I don't get what you're upset with? Because they know who's doing the snow? Or because now you will get all these different phone calls complaining about this and that? I feel they shouldn't be calling you directly, but should have you deal with one or two specific people. If you would, please clarify your anger.

7. BigBoyPlowin

No they always know I'm doing it. They usually don't publish my direct emergency phone number, also now every customer knows my numbers. So any resident can hand their current contractor my exact prices. Yes it's public, but it's not right... It should be on a per request basis or in a bid tab. Table.
    But then again that's why I'm on here asking others what they thing,.. Maybe not!

8. BigBoyPlowin

Calls so far are saying,
    "I see you got the contract, please make sure you stake soon."

"Please get closer to the mailboxes!"

"Please don't pile the snow in my driveway when you plow my cul-de-sac!"

"Sparks were flying from your plows last year, I don't want to see that!"
    Well when steel rubs concrete you're gonna get some sparks!
    ^those are the calls that I won't need at 3AM after I've been plowing for 8hrs straight

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No your contact should never have done that. All my HOA contracts state I will talk to ONLY the named contact. Any calls we receive we tell the people as nicely as posable "you need to call XXXXX" and get off the phone. No way would I listen to every piddling complaint from 100+ home owners.

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I understand your frustration. Not much you can do about it, just the down side of working for these HOA's. I used to do a lot of residential accounts, not within a HOA, but each one could call me any time and complain or give out my prices. Condo complex I used to do was govern by a BOD. I had 2 contacts on that board that I dealt with about work I was doing, however, that didn't stop the other owners from expressing their opinions on how the work should be done.

So, try to fix that damn "sparks flying thing" and be a good contractor!:laughing:

11. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Hey, he just want's to make sure that other people can see him Thumbs Up

12. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i would make it clear to the president that they (and only people they authorize) are to have your contact information and that you will only take calls from those authorized individuals. it's too late now, but ask them to send another notice to the unit occupants informing them NOT to contact you for any reason and to call the individual(s) you are dealing with, and then they will rely the message to you. distributing your number was careless and unprofessional of the board president, and fielding calls from up to 300 unit owners during a storm is a huge distraction and puts everyone at greater risk.

unit owners are certainly within their rights to know who is plowing the complex and what rate they are charging, but to equip them with your number is wrong.

13. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

This! :salute:

14. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

Rubber and poly blades don't spark.... Just saying

15. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I think you should call the prez and explain a few things to him. linkell is spot on with his response. I'd be on the phone making sure they understand that you can't be taking calls while plowing and that you're not the hot line for complaints.

16. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I never had that happen, we have done multiple HOAs over the years.

17. forkicks

forkicks Member

Some owners or associations are more professional. But there are some that just like to pass the buck. It is easier for them to just give your number out so that they do not have to deal with the complaints. Where I live the owner is like that also He always posts the number of the company doing the plowing stating that if you need plowing information or have any problems call them direct. He's a real sneaky foreigner with money. Dealt with a lot of them in my time they do not make the job easy. Just bid accordingly so that you are paid for the annoyances. You can not change them its just part of doing business these days. The only thing you can do if you can is put there calls on a separate number that goes to a voice mail box. There you can leave a message to call management or the president of the association or who ever is in charge. Stating that for safety reasons you cannot stop and return calls in the middle of a storm or while you are plowing. The one in charge than can leave just one message as opposed to 20 or more. Always play the safety card and insurance regulations or dot regulations. This way you don't look like you are just ignoring them. Which in reality really is true about safety if you are the one in charge or solo operator it is always hard to concentrate while working and fielding calls at the same time. that's when accidents happen. I know we all do it but that does not make it any safer. You just need to relay this information to them. Some will understand others will never get it. Just make the best of it and don't let it get to you where it's a constant distraction on your mind. Remember why we choose to be out here in the first place $$$$$.

18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I would block them in my phone as they called me.

19. forkicks

forkicks Member

Yup that would work also.

20. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I see your point about your number being passed out but its part of business. I do all the property maintance work in a 9 building 58 unit complex. Over time the owner has given all the people my number to call with their problems. This is how I handle the outside calls. They are all told they need to email all concerns to him than he forwards them to me. Some will push the limits but I will not talk to anybody without email. You think phone calls are bad try driving thur a complex with people jumping out in front of your truck because a light bulb is out.