1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

IS This CRAZY or am I expecting to much!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by LCS Inc., Oct 16, 2008.

1. LCS Inc.

LCS Inc. Junior Member
    from Indiana

Ok, here is the deal. Friend call me up this evening and says "hey, I know you just got a plow for your truck wanna help me with a subdivision that has 22 houses?" Of course I say- yep what's it entail? He goes on to tell me that the low bid is at $220 for 22 homes (drive, sidewalks out front , including sidewalks to front door) and that we can get it if we go cheaper. I said so your telling me they want us to do that for $11 per push. I told him to go fly a kite. Am I wrong or does this sound feedable- maybe I'm in left field here I don't know!

2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

No, you were WELL within the realm of the real world to tell him to fly a kite!!!, I hope he has a lot more buddy's that aren't all that smart!!!!!! (or maybe a few ******** ones!):jester::jester:

3. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I guess he is not ur buddy anymore!:waving:

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

he is lying to you because he wants to keep all the money.
    he is not your friend.
    its really much, much more than that he just doesnt want you to know it.

5. big acres

big acres Senior Member

gotta' wonder? we would be charging at LEAST a $100 for the walks alone. don't walk away -RUN!

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

22 houses, 220 dollars, thats 10 bucks a pop, not 11. Even worse.

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$8 per drive and $2 per side walk WOW he will be raking in the money. Although i can typically do 14-16 drives per hour when there next door to each other so the plowing isnt to bad but no walks!!

8. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Yea, he's tryin to f' ya big time there...unless you misunderstoond and the 220 figure was your cut.
    I would cut a deal if I scored a whole subdivision like that..with no walks I'd want a min of 30/drive (IF you score the whole street). The normal drive is 35 here in NH. I wouldn't touch that cause I don't do walks, but at least 35each.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I won't even drop my blade in a driveway for $10

10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

these drives are two cars long by two cars wide and you would charge $30.00 per drive. I guess you dont do many condo complexs! So if i do 15 driveways per hour i would be able to get $450.00 per hour ............not bad or $660 for less than 1.5 hours work for all 22 units :redbounce i want to plow were your plowing

11. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

So what do you think the association budgeted per unit for snow removal?

With a foot of snow I'm thinkin he can shove the $10 / unit. With 3" I'm still thinking he can shove the $10.

Stand alone residentials as stated above go for $30-$35 depending on size. With the units ganged together you save a lot of windshield time but from $35 down to $10, I'd be walking away. Even at $20 each I'd probably walk away. Somewhere around $25 would be the lowest around here if you had a bunch together. I don't view it as dollars per hour--- you're providing a service for each unit.......if you beat the crap out of yourself and your truck to do more per hour, you should benefit in income....whats it worth when they're looking out the window at you at 4am and your plow is having issues...are they helping you out---so if you do 10 an hour that means you should charge $6 each to make your $60/hr???

12. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I think if you really pushed it it would take 10 mins minimum per house, plow it and shovel both walks... thats 6 per hour and more than likely only 4 to 5 per hour depending on the snow... If I was really hungry I dont think i'd do it for less than $440

13. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'll drop mine for $10 but I won't put the truck in gear till they give me another $20!:jester:

14. LCS Inc.

LCS Inc. Junior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for all your input! I spoke with him and told him unless we could get $25 per unit I wasnt interested!

15. Young gun

Young gun Junior Member

I'd have no problem clearing the drives for $10. per unit. In fact I have a project that has 128 units that we clear at $10. per unit. One caveat, shoveling is a seperate price and billed out hourly. One Bobcat with 74" blower, most snow under 4" we can clear all 128 units is under 4 hrs. You can do the math.
    With shoveling somewhere in the $15 per unit price and you would make money.

16. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

always remember the other side of the fence...it's called CAM; don't cut yourself short.

17. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Yes, that's the going rate up here. a standard 2 car drive is 35 bux. At least that's what my customers pay me. I'm sure there are some guys out there that would charge 15 bux for a driveway like that up here too, you find that all over the place.

18. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I wont put shovelers on the ground at a plow account of mine for less than $45, and that is minimum sized driveway, and one short walkway. I would never think of doing that exact same job for $10 or $20 or $30. The fact that they are next to eachother only increases your own productivity. Its not a free for all for all the neighbors to get their snow moved for a 20 dollar bill. Let him have it. He will work his ass off for nothing. You wont see him around next year.

19. Young gun

Young gun Junior Member

To clear this up, I as well will not do individual driveways for less than $35 per drive. However for a HOA or Condo project you can't look at them as single units. It's really just one customer. Increasing one's productivity is important to their own bottom line, but to be more efficent, especially when we are talking about the time line to clear snow after it stops falling is what make one company excel over the next. And not by my choice, but the price does come down.

20. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

The point of taking on Condo complexes is to MAKE MONEY doing them. Not to provide $10 driveway clearing. If thats what you are going to do, stay out of the complex, and go take on more driveway work which you told me, is far more lucrative.