1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this Clearlane or did I get screwed? how to tell?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 2011F250Lariat, Dec 10, 2011.

1. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

Ok so I have always used bagged rock salt untill now, have more accounts this year and can save some money by buying bulk so I decided to get it form a place close to me as I knew I can talk them into delivering only 3 tons to me since I am within 5 miles. They gave me a price of $90 per ton delivered to my driveway. This is in Chicago's northwest suburbs. I don't have room for more nor did I want to risk getting more incase I dont like the product, I figured 3 tons is a good start to check it out.

This is what I got, and here is what my initial reaction is:

1. It is NOT green like I read on here it should be. Its light brown color.
    2. It is extremely fine, I understand that bulk is finer then bagged, but it seems extremely fine, such that I am thinking I will use MORE of this product rather then less, compared to bagged rock salt.
    3. It doesnt look like I got an actual 3 tons either, but still working on the weight.
    4. I tasted it out of curiosity, tastesd like regular rock salt to me, but then again i never tasted a treated product, and I am not sure this is an effective way to tell either. What if its mixed and some rocks are treated and others not.

Please look at the pictures and let me know what you think, I need some advice before I call the company I got it from with my complaints on monday.

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

2. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

A few more pics.

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

That isn't clearlane... Sorry

4. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

Yep,you got taken.Clearlane is always green with liquid mag added.The green dye is so you can see where you are spreading it.The liquid mag is clear.

5. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

looks pretty sticky to.

6. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

For many years I used Clear Lane and just loved the way it performed.However alot of the companies and sites that I deal with want to be GREEN friendly,so I switched to International Salt Company and use a product called Ice-B-Gone which has Beat Juice and Molases in it.It works really,really good.The Beat Juice brings the freeze temps down because of the sugar in it and the Molases which has natural sugar in it does the same but at a lower freeze point and it sticks to the road surface when you spread it.Smells good too!

7. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

Sorry,the correct spelling should have been beet not beat.

8. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Put up a picture from farther away so we can see the size of the pile to chime in on its weight.

I agree thats no clearlane that i've ever seen before

9. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

thanks for the input guys, any chance this is thundermelt instead, isnt that stuff brown?

As for the weight I will know what it is exactly tommorrow.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  10. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

doesn't matter what it is, it isn't Clearlane. Tell the scammers to get it off your property!

11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

negative on the clearlane.give them a call.

12. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Agreed, it not a clearlane. It wouldn't have any clumps in it if it was clearlane, not to mention the color. Tell them to come pick it up and give you a refund. Or keep it and the bring you real clearlane for free

13. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

It is thundermelt. Ran it last year. It is a damn mess to use.

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That product looks like it has gotten wet a few times. We have had Clearlane stored in bulk, when it get's wet it looses all it's green. Also once you spread it the green goes away really quick. We have been accused of spreading white salt when we actually put down Clearlane.

I don't really know how you guys can tell that isn't Clearlane for sure but it does look like crap.

16. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

If it is clearlane ans it got wet, then the additive has been washed out. I use snow slicer and the additive that is colored purple activates first then the salt kicks in.

17. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

Looks awfully fine to spread very well.

18. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

Weight checks out, but product definately does not, we'll see what happens when i contact them tommorrow. I am very close to posting their info so that others don't get taken by this company.

19. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

wana hear what happens......

20. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

I am in the same situation as you... except they didn't deliver me anything I did not want. This year I am running thunder-melt. I am purchasing bulk for about 80 a ton. Its not THAT bad IMO. All I know is that it is cheap. Though I recommend tarping the salt over so it does not freeze up on you.