1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this about accurate?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by darood01, Nov 12, 2010.

1. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

Bidding on a rental property that has a driveway with a small parking lot at the end. The total square feet is 5250, and 2 inch trigger Would $600 for the season seem to be right.
  2. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

dont know your area but that is real low......how many storms a year do you average? Im asuming around 12??
  3. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

seems low but I don't know your costs

But do you know your cost per hour? If want to gain confidence in your bidding and not under-sell yourself, check out this;

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:

#1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.
  4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Maybe if all you got were 2" storms but remember to pad into the price the possibility of those big events.
  5. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

After redoing my numbers, do you think $1250 is more accurate or is that high. We average 18-23 storms. Any input would be great.
  6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

With all due respect, you should now if the number is right. I feel confident McDonald's is not asking Burger King if the number is right. Please don't take that the wrong way, but you will potentially put yourself out of business letting someone else price your jobs. Know your costs per hour for your company and you will have the confidence to know your numbers are right. We made the same mistake for nine years. Costs us thousands of dollars and nearly our business. We finally decided we were going to price our jobs based on our overhead, expenses and projected profit margin and let the rest take care of itself.

Good Luck!
  7. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I would take your avg plow rate and based on the number of times you determine you plow on avg per week - say it's twice a week - times that by your contract dates in weeks and you have your number. IE say you charge 50 per push and you feel you will be plowing once a week for sure. Your contact is good from nov 1st till march 1st - 5 months or 20 weeks. So $50 a week x 20 weeks is $1000.00. These are just numbers for example reasons but it should get you in the ball park. Just a tip if you extend an early pay discount or a pay in cash discount many people will remember that for the next season
  8. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

I found out, the current company charges $350 for the season. They were just shopping around to see other prices because the company kept hitting railroad ties along the driveway. Sounds like they are going to be staying with them.
  9. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

Welcome to West Michigan. Not happy with the service, but going to keep them. Or we are happy with your service, but XYZ Company will plow for half of what you charge.