1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a WESTERN plow or not?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by handyandy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. handyandy

handyandy Junior Member

Guys I'm trying to buy a plow and I found this one fairly cheap. Problem is the owner is advertising it as a 7.5' Western. It doesn't look like a Western to me but what do I know. I've asked for more pics but this is what I have for now.

So is this a western or not? If it is...any guess as to model and age? If it isn't a western any idea what brand it is? Age?

Thanks guys.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11705&d=1183730223

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11706&d=1183730290

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Looks to me like an old Meyers, and if it was MY purchase, I'd probably pass.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It looks like a combination of a western and a meyers or fisher.

4. YardMedic

There's nothing Fisher about that combo! Have you gone mad, man?!? :p Surely you jest!

5. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Good eyes there! Western pump and lights...rest Meyer.

6. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i believe they call that a Frankenstein plow hahahaha

7. handyandy

handyandy Junior Member

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

x2 on that.

9. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know what your putting this on or what kind of plowing you need it for but I agree with repoman 100%, unless it was free I wouldn't reccomend it. The mount and pump MIGHT be ok with a little work but the blade is in bad shape. It aint gonna trip when an obstacle is stuck with a hunk of angle iron welded between the sector and the moldboard! Look's like the pivot pins have been hacked up too.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  11. handyandy

handyandy Junior Member

So you wouldn't take the Franknstein plow(lol) plus the Western blade for $600??

The western/meyer combo is a complete plow. The Western mold board and quad is only a few years old. You don't think I could piece together a decent plow from all that. I can get all of it for $600 to be exact. Maybe cheaper. Then if I sell the Meyer mold board for even $100 I'm only in $500 for 1 complete Western plow set up.

I'm probably missing something key here so I'm hoping some one will set me straight.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  12. handyandy

handyandy Junior Member

Have you seen the new pics I posted in post #7 of the Western blade and quad? If the mount and pump are ok and I can replace the Meyer blade with the one in the said pic all for $600 then is it any better if an idea? Are they even interchangeable?

13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You are just asking for problems. I don't really have enough time to try to explain everything that you would have to do to make it work. But it would be a lot of work and by the time your done. You probably would have about $1500-2000 tied up in it. Which for the same money could buy a nice used western plow for.

14. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

It Has Been Re-named!

My wife hit it right on the head... a Messtern! To me...one you have to piecemeal together is fine as long as you're plowing your OWN driveway....that way, you don't have far to go when you breakdown with the Messtern.

15. YardMedic

For 2k, you can probably get an almost completely refurbished setup without any of the headaches you're looking at here

16. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Bottom line...Don't buy the stupid thing!!!

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Andy, the one thing I don't see in your pics is a Western A-frame which you would need in order to use the Western blade. Does it come with one? The Meyer A-frame isn't going to be compatible with the Western blade and quadrant. If you can end up with an entire Western setup and ditch the Meyer blade you wouldn't be too bad off IF the mount is for the type of truck you have and you don't end up putting alot of money in the pump in order to get it working.

18. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow?

only if he is paying you a penny a pound and gas to haul it away.:nono:

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My guess probably would have been more accurate if I looked at the picture for longer than about 1 second. And I probably am going nuts from all the rain anyway. :dizzy:

20. handyandy

handyandy Junior Member

Ahhhh...I was thinking the frank'n plow was western pump, lights AND a-frame. I wasn't thinking the a-frame was Meyers like the blade. I was thinking I could just take off the Meyer blade and replace it with the Western blade and be good to go. I new it was to good to be true. I'm just glad I had the sense to post here and ask you pro's before I did something stupid.

Well I guess it's true what they say...It's not what you know but WHO you know. Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll pass on this "deal".