1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a solenoid problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by croft4306, Dec 23, 2011.

1. croft4306

croft4306 Junior Member

I have a boss v plow it was working fine last storm and when I tried to hook it up today all I get is clicking out of the solenoid so first I tried one for a ford truck from a local auto parts store that did the same thing so then went to the boss dealer and they sold me what they said was an aftermarket solenoid I put that on and it only clicks.So now I am wondering if I need to buy an actual boss solenoid that aftermarket ones will not work or is my problem something else.Thanks

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Run jumper cables straight to the plow motor, if it runs check the wire connector my Snoway will do that when it's not fully seated.

3. chitown sparky

chitown sparky Senior Member

I got my battery changed out last week and the mechanic broke the bolt off the solenoid. I called the local dealer and they told me they use western solenoids because they are cheaper I put it in and we will see why they are cheaper by like 10 bucks

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

You can also take a test light and put it on one side of the solenoid then hit the controller for up or angle and it should light up. One side of the solenoid should be constantly hot. If it lights up when you hit the controller the solenoid is fine. If not he solenoid is probably bad.

5. croft4306

croft4306 Junior Member

got it working I think it was actually a bad connection in the plug on the power/ground cable.Can just the plug on that cable be replaced or would I have to buy the whole power cable?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011