1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a "Midweight" - good for F150?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by eric_mc, Sep 30, 2009.

1. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

Having trouble identifying this - I think it is a "Midweight" model - which I believe would be great for a F150.

Also - anyone have any idea exactly what I would need to buy for vehicle side? Obviously the mount kit - do they have a "kit" for the harness, solonoid etc? Would like to be able to compute an "all in" price for this.

I have a '05 F150 - From what I can tell from the western site, I will need:
    "Mount Assy Box No. 62225"
    "Harness Kit No. 63420"
    + a control unit
    Anything else?

Thanks,

plow1.jpg

plow2.jpg

plow3.jpg

2. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

I don't think it is a mid-weight, but IMO it should be fine for your truck. Just don't think your Mario Andretti :rolleyes:

3. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

maybe it is what they call a "Standard"? Wondering about the total weight.

4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yes it is a 7'6" standard steel unimount. Good for the f150.

5. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

You guys are the best - thank you.

Now just trying to figure out exactly what I will need vehicle side. :confused:

6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

There is no unimount bracket for the 2005. You would have to get the ultramount bracket and then run the conversion bracket. What type of headlight is on the f150?

7. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

OK - I just got told the same thing about ultra then convert. I believe my headlight is H13 - when I was looking at Fishers anyway...

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

If you decide to get the plow I might have the mount and some wiring?

9. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

Still trying to decide if it makes financial sense - over just going new. any idea what all the vehicle side stuff might cost me? If you think you have it that is. Thanks!

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

In general, by the time you buy all the bits and pieces you are not far off the price of a new plow unless you got a great deal on the used one.

11. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Mount would be about 300.00 and the wiring another 200.00? I think you can get the conversion for 250.00,I might have one to sell for 200.00.

12. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

Thanks Western - the seller is a machinist - he is going to try and retrofit a mount for my truck....so we are going to give that a shot. Thank you.

13. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Good luck.

14. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

The Western Standard was redisigned a couple of years ago and became the mid-weight. The difference being the midweight has more reinforcement than the standard and the midweight is an ultramount. The nice part about the ultramount is it fits any of the western plows.

What are you paying for that plow? Are you going to install it yourself? Some places charge up to 400.00 just to install. I have talked to several folks about uni-mount plows on ultra-mount trucks. It causes the plow to do 2 things.

1. The stick out farther
    2 they hang lower which could cause issues with bottoming out.

Unless your getting that setup for 1500.00 or less, I would say skip it and keep looking. That is just my opninion for what ever that is worth, which may not be much.:D

15. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

Thanks tona - the plow was $1200, reworked mount $200 and harness+control $200 - total of $1600.

Thanks for mentioning the downsides. The guy I am buying it from is going to try and fabricate an conversion for me with a mount that fits my truck, so hopefully it will work. The plow looks to be in great shape - so I figured for the savings over new - it was worth a shot.

But with what you said - I should probably look for Timbrens right now huh?

16. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

I have a Dodge 1500 with the midweight on it. I did not "need" the timbrens but I put them on anyway. It did lift the front end back up about 2 inches when the plow is on it. That was just enough for me to stop dragging the plow on high angle driveways.

They are cheap insurance and only stiffened the ride mildly.

I guess you could either tackle this one of 2 ways.

1 Mount it and see how low it sags. Put your truck on level ground and measure from the ground to the bottom of the fender in the wheel well. From there make a determination on whether you need them or not.

2 Just do it and know it is only going to help. For the 270.00 it cost to have them mounted... it is not going to hurt anything to have them put on. Just make sure the mount you put on the truck is removable incase you decide to sell your truck at a later date.

17. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

Seems like most people go for them with anything more than a Homesteader.....I found them for $200 new for my truck - so I think I will just put them on. My driveway happens to be pretty steap anyway. Thanks !

18. Freedom Dave

Freedom Dave Member

Timbrens are well worth it and I have the same plow just a standard poly and bought it new in 2003 and its still going strong. For that price its good, I have a newer F150 (2008) and they said "gotta get the midweight" well it sucks in comparison - not heavy enough to do back dragging. Only thing that sucks about uni mount compared to ultra is that you don't feel like taking it off as quickly but otherwise a plow is a plow.
    I bought a 6'5" plow used for my Jeep TJ (wrangler) because I didn't want that toy of a suburbinite plow and the mount and wiring costs 1800 bucks

19. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

yah - the unimount looks like a bit of a pain to mount/unmount - and a little more ugly than the fisher/MM, but hey, the price was right so....
    invested in some POR for the rust spots, got the timbrens, now just gotta pick up the plow this weekend.....34 this morning, so snow will be flying soon...

20. DakotaDarron

DakotaDarron Member

im running that SAME EXACT plow on my 96 250. liek others have said.. dont go hot shotting it and youll be fine . the thing I like about this plow is the float mode. really does a nice job. and it also lets you know its still there on the front of the truck. minimal sqaut on the front end. the one thing that irritates me is the full blade trip .. but i guess thats common amongst western guys