1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is This a Liability?!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Schuley, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

We got blasted with snow last week, and i got a call the other day to clear some walks that hadn't been done yet. I show up, and about crapped my pants, so I went to get the big blower on the skid and came back. Snow bank on the walk was all of 8' tall and the drift behind it was 5-6' tall and about 45' from 1 drive to the next. A LOT OF SNOW! anyway, here's the question, (see pic below) would the trench be a liability issue? I just worry about kids climbing on it then falling. Its on the back side of a park where tons of people go sledding. I am not at fault for anything, the property owner was just asking so I said i'd look into it for them....

112.jpg

2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

As another plowsite member suggests, "You can't fix stupid"

3. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

haha yeah, its things like that that make me understand why i see some kids on a leash...

4. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

How about put a snow fence on top of the "snow fence" ???

5. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

just saw the 6 oclock news, going to be almost 40 by next week..... guess they can just let it melt

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Anything in the snow business is a liability

7. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

You could push snow into a pile during a blizzard, and the wind could blow the snow over the furnace exhaust completely covering it causing carbon monoxide to back up into the house killing the residents. And you would be liable. It drives me nuts what we have to worry about.

8. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

No way that I would ever leave it like that. I would have an ironclad legal agreement drawn up asap if you have to leave it like this that relieves you of any liability should a wall collapse on someone. This is the IDEAL spot for kids to get into. Temps coming up = increased probability of collapse. Get back in there, knock the sides all the way down to a 45 degree angle, blow the stuff out somewhere else.

9. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

OSHA would knock your ding dong in the dirt if they saw a trench like that on an excavation. I would knock those walls back to a 1:1 either by benching or sloping them.

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I agree, you need to bench those sides. That is going to come back on you if that shelfs and falls on somone.

11. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

12. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

ditto on the benching, i know it'll be a pain with the skid since you wont be able to turn in there, you'll have to cut in at a diagonal and keep repeating that.

hi flow blower?