1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a good truck for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CAsLawnCare, Jun 3, 2008.

1. CAsLawnCare

CAsLawnCare Junior Member

I'm getting ready for my first plowing season this winter. I've been looking for a new truck because I just have a ranger right now, and I know it's not going to handle a plow. I think I'm going to buy this F-150. http://www.patmillikenford.com/used_vehicle_details.htm?vehicleId=0b466ca54046381e0145c41403f2d25e&bhcp=1

It's a 2006 Ford F-150 Lariat.
    Would this be a good truck to plow in?
    Also, How much is the average cost to buy a plow, and all the set up required?
    How much did u pay for your plow?

Thanks a lot,
  2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of plowing are you going to be doing? If your going to do just driveways, that should be fine. But if your planning on doing lots, then you want at least a 3/4 ton. I love my truck for plowing. I had an F-150 before it, and I never used it for plowing, but I don't think it woulda held up as well. I plowed only driveways this last winter, but when you get a big storm it's nice to have as big of a truck as possible.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's the magic question right there. But also be aware that you won't have a great deal of plow model choices for the F150 due to exceeding the FAWR. Most plows recommended for that truck will be light duty style plows. Just something to keep in mind.
  4. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

the answer to your question is NO, a F150 is not a "good" plow truck.

Just like they make plows for a Ranger, they make plows for a F-150. You seem to understand that a Ranger isn't good for plowing. An F-150 is just a glorified Ranger and isn't a work truck. 3/4 up are work trucks. The suspension is made a lot beefier, the transmission is geared and made to haul heavy loads, and the engine is more powerful, although i feel like the engine is probably the least important difference.

I'd say get a 3/4 ton. If you need to, the right decision would be to forgo the leather and sunroof.

Besides, don't go to a dealer, get it from a private party and it will be much cheaper. I've seen TONS of perfectly nice F-250's for less than $19,000. I bet you could even find one with leather.

ALSO: That "Great Warranty" that the dealer is offering for that F150 could possibly be voided or at the very least reduced, if you added a plow to the truck. The manufacturer (Ford) does not recommend or endorse plowing with F150's.
  5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

a half ton truck is O.K. not great but O.K.......

we have half ton's and 3/4's 1ton's and even a ton/half and THEY ALL PLOW SNOW.

the fuel difference between 2 of my truck's is half/ton get's approx 20mpg and our new 3/4 get's 11......so how much plowing do you do?

we plow commercially with 1/2ton's and have had for year's but we don't keep trucks over a year or so. and i have never seen front end wear differance between any of them but we don't put blizzard 8611's on half ton's either LOL

if you don't need the extra truck for more than plowing why buy it? Snow-way makes alot of light weight comercial plow's

how bout it TOBY?

i am not saying that a 3/4 is not better suited over many year's so please don't take that the wrong way

6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

1/2 ton trucks with our 26 series plows make awesome snowfighting machines.

Just remember that you aren't plowing with a 3/4 ton truck and respect your equipment and you will be just fine.

Check us out http://www.snoway.com

Industry leading technology and the best manufacturer's warranty in the business.
  7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

take it from the best

1/2 is plenty

Ive never plowed with anything bigger than 1/2 ton, and ive never plowed parking lots that being said I feel like a 3/4 ton or bigger is a waste of money and gas plus repair costs are more expensive unless you plow lots or haul serious weight. If you only plow drives and haul "smaller" loads and trailers all youll need is a 1/2 ton.
  9. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

There's a lot to be said for using professional equipment for professional jobs.

People notice what you're plowing with, and they definitely appreciate when you're using professional quality equipment. People know that there's a big difference between F150's and 250's. They may not know why, but they know that 150's are regular people trucks and 250's+ are work trucks.

If you're not using professional equipment, it's hard to justify charging a professional price.

You can compare it to a mowing service. If you show up with a craftsman tractor to mow their lawn, whether consciously or not, they're going to expect to pay you less because you don't have professional equipment they see other companies using. They'll also think less of your service because they'll think 'I/anybody could do that'.

If i was bidding a job, and i was trying to sell my service over yours, the first thing i'd point out is your grocery getter plow truck with a moon roof compared to my professional HD trucks. That would also be the first reason i'd point out for charging a higher rate than you.

It is what it is. equipment leaves a big impression.
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Jason is right on the mark. First impressions are everything.I keep my equipent clean as much as I can too.
  11. powerjoke

that's why JD and i don't charge as much for tractor's as everyone else does pick-up's? it must be because truck's are dedicated snow unit's right out of the factory :confused:
  12. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

i don't understand your point Power Joke..... You sell tractors?
  13. powerjoke

you want ford 601?
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  14. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

That thing is pretty cool Power joke. What year is it? How does it run?
  15. powerjoke

LOL i was just at an auction and seen it.....and remembered Millwaukee alway talking about his

it was jsut a joke haha
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Yes, You can plow with a 1/2 ton.
    How much for how long is the question.

A 3/4 ton is better suited for the job even if it is just to plow drives as the drive train in the properly equipped 3/4 ton is heavy duty compared to a 1/2 ton's.

When buying a plow truck get more truck than you need.
    Why try to use a 1/2 ton like a 3/4 ton?
    If you do your repair costs and liability will increase....

Using a 1/2 ton to plow for beer money is like driving a spike with a tack hammer.

The f150 is better suited for well, getting groceries....

17. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

It seems that everyone is saying you can plow with a 1/2 ton if you "take it easy", "respect your equipment" yada yada yada.....

The reason i don't buy into this is because we're at the total mercy of the weather. How do you "take it easy" when 2" of wet snow is falling from the sky every hour?

Answer: You can't.

Whatever snow is in the space your contracted to clear has to be cleared. If you take your time trying to "take it easy" because you don't have the right equipment, then you'll pay for it at the next account, because that much more snow will have fallen by the time you get there.
  18. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

CLC you can plow snow with anything, but how quickly,effortlessly and effectively depends greatly on using the right tool for the job.
    If you are in this for the long haul buy the best equipment you can afford ,be it new or used.
    The F350(big and beefy) will outlast the F150(good estimator truck). One tons or 3/4 have a much beefier front suspension ,bigger everything which is good when you're hanging a heavy plow on it.
    Your business will grow and bigger lots will come along.
    My 95F350,works everyday, has outlasted 2 jeeps, a bronco ,89 chev ,76 chev, 80 chev 5 ton,and many more. Many sacrifices to the snow Gods. Lots of wasted money trying to make l'il trucks do big truck longevity. IMO a great all around plow truck is a one ton ford reg cab, long box,8.5' blade and a slide in sander. To ez drill sargent.
  19. kstt

kstt Junior Member

Dude: this isn't even 4 wheel drive:nono:
  20. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Sorry to dis-agree with this post but in fact, residential people have no clue of the difference in a half or 3/4 ton truck. They want their property done fora decent price---its up to you to get is done----they dont care if you do it with a shovel.

People keep talking about professional when in fact, getting it done properly and on time is the only professional thing.

Do a good job and you can charge what you want---you dont need a 3/4 ton truck to charge the going rate for the area.

The same goes for lawncare----look around---there are a lot of guys busy with crafsman tractors.

And, they already know anyone can mow a lawn...they either dont want to do it or they physically cant----neither one justifies a 1 ton truck with an enclosed trailer.

you also said:

Iif i was bidding a job, and i was trying to sell my service over yours, the first thing i'd point out is your grocery getter plow truck with a moon roof compared to my professional HD trucks. That would also be the first reason i'd point out for charging a higher rate than you.

And in residential properties youd lose on price.....not to mention you have no idea what I'm bidding....you assume a lot here!