1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a good truck for plowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CAsLawnCare, Jun 3, 2008.

1. CAsLawnCare

CAsLawnCare Junior Member

I'm getting ready for my first plowing season this winter. I've been looking for a new truck because I just have a ranger right now, and I know it's not going to handle a plow. I think I'm going to buy this F-150. http://www.patmillikenford.com/used_vehicle_details.htm?vehicleId=0b466ca54046381e0145c41403f2d25e&bhcp=1

It's a 2006 Ford F-150 Lariat.
    Would this be a good truck to plow in?
    Also, How much is the average cost to buy a plow, and all the set up required?
    How much did u pay for your plow?

Thanks a lot,
    Chris

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That is a nice truck but I would be looking for a 3/4 ton truck if you are in this for the long haul.

A new straight blade plow will be around $4500.

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck but for $20,000 you could find a 3/4 ton and have something that will last alot longer plowing snow...

4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I plow with a 2000 1/2 ton Chev and haven't had any problems. But even since 2000 all manufacturers have lightened their trucks. Even though I haven't had any issues, unless I was using a 2001 or older 1/2 ton I don't know that I'd want to put a plow on it. Depends on how much you are going to plow I guess, a few driveways would be okay. 35+ accounts and I think you'd be better off with a 3/4 ton. Just my opinion based on my experience.

Buck

5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

That is a nice looking truck. but like everyone else has said. get a 4/3 ton for long haul. if you are gonna plow commercially you are better off with a 3/4 ton. much better and you will get more life out of it and it will handle a bigger plow. And for my setup. I bought my truck 2003 Ford F-250 Superduty 5.4 v8 Leather sport package with 120k on it with a little body damage on rear passenger side for $8400 with a 8ft fisher minute mount 2 snow plow. But for a brand new setup at a dealer you are looking around $4-5k price range installed.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No, commercially a Crew Cab needs a 8'6" blade. Your F-150 is probably rated for a 7'6" and you could put a larger blade on it depending on the make, but not without damage. 1/2 ton Reg cab short beds make great driveway machines but other then that go with a 3/4 ton if you're serious about doing this as a business. :nod: