1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a good truck deal?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crazymike, Oct 26, 2004.

1. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Sorry for the spinoff, but this kind of needed a new thread.

I'm debating on equipment to use. I have an old pickup I can put a plow on which I know is dependable. However, the body is in very rough shape.

I was looking in the trader and I found another 89 F-250 7.3L Diesel with 230kms. He says he just put on a new bed and has a cap that needs some more body work. He says the engine runs perfect and sounds really nice. It just needs some touchup work.

He's asking $3900 Canadian and comes with an 8' fish plow (he thinks 8', he says it's wider than the truck) and works good with no leaks.

Here is a picture - http://img99.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img99&image=161676jpg1.jpg
    [​IMG]

Does this sound like a good truck? Is it even worth going to look at (1 hour drive each way). Or should I keep looking.

Will plow trucks he easier or harder to find as the season approaches...

2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I also found this one for $2900. It's an auto power stroke Diesel but doesn't have a plow (looks like it did at one point)

[​IMG]

But, it's a dually, and also would require a plow. Is plowing residential with a dually as bad as everyone makes it out to be?

Will the dually scare off companys from using me as a sub?

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I would allow no more than $1,000.00 for the plow if in good working order.

The truck if it passes inspection is worth no less than 2,000.00

Total = $3,000.00 Above that you allow for how good it is , meaning potential repairs right away. Tires,battery, tune up etc.
    Hope this helps.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That brown one looks suspiciously like a truck near me, if the guy changed the bed since I last saw it.

Where is it supposed to be located?

If it is the same truck, it needed rockers pretty bad...

If that blue one is really a Powerstroke and not just a regular 7.3 non-turbo diesel it seems awfully cheap.

I plow residentials with my dually. You need a wider plow if doing anything other than straight runs. Mine is 9'-2". The other is length (typical of any longer vehicle) it doesn't turn sharp enough for tight horseshoes etc...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Thanks. The first truck he said had new batteries, etc... and he just had a diesel mechanic look at it. However, I will need to paint it, or atleast prime it so it looks one colour. Which will be another $200-$300 if I do it myself in the garage.

I have to go look at it as far as rubber/body.

Is there certain plow types I should stay away from? Other than finding one that has a local parts supplier, is there and bad types of plows?

And will it be harder to find a plow truck in 4 weeks from now? Or easier?

ie, should I buy the first good one that comes along or hold out?

6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

It's located near cambridge. That picture the rockers look good, but it's only a picture.

7. derekbroerse

OK I am from Niagara so no its not the same truck.

There is a brown diesel Ford with a plow sitting for sale near here, and its really rough looking but supposed to be full of good parts. Around the same price range....

8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

If the powerstroke is in good running order and body shape, is it worth scooping up?

9. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

This is true. Any diesel in good working order is worth $2,000.00 more than a gasser.

10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

anyone know how much it would cost in paint/supplies to paint a truck myself using a spray gun?

Would you advice against it?

11. crashz

crashz Senior Member

The dually is not a powerstroke. Just a regular 7.3 International like the brown truck. It may have after market parts, even a turbo. But if it is a powerstroke, somebody got really creative. :rolleyes:

Powerstrokes were very rare in 94 and were the full replacement in 95.

Keep in mind that the dually is a 2wd F450 (sometimes just said "Superduty" on the badging). You can tell by the leaf spring front axle (not driven) and 10 lug hubs. 2wd is going to require a lot of weight and will still be a liability getting stuck in soft ground.

12. crashz

crashz Senior Member

On a second look, the dually may be a F350 (not superduty). Its hard to tell in the picture how many lugs are on the wheel hub. Either way, I'd consider something else.

13. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Thanks, I decided against the daully. I would like to be flexible in who I can work for, and there seems to be a greater need for residential around here. So with a SRW I can do both.

Is there a good time of the year to buy a plow as far as getting the best deal though?

14. derekbroerse

lol sometimes I forget that all dually's aren't 4x4's like mine... Actually mines probably the exception, not the rule. It's all in what you are used to I guess...

15. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

The dually is not a powerstroke, it's older than 94.

16. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

thanks, I realized that after. The dealer seems to be misinformed.

I found a chevy cheyenne 2500 Diesel w/ what appears to be a 7.5' plow in good shape. They are asking $5,000 canadian for it, but it has 350k kms on it.

Is that too high for a $5000 truck? It looks fairly rust free and has good rubber. Sorry to keep asking, but I don't want to get ripped off here.

17. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

Is it a 6.5L?? What year??

18. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

sorry, it's a 1990. It doesn't specify the engine size but they said it's an 8 cyl. it looks like it's in nice shape.

[​IMG]

$5000 canadian

19. What does 5000 canadian convert over to be in dollars? If its under $3500, sounds like a good deal to me :waving:

20. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

$4000 USD. But the dollar is abnormaly high right now.