1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a good strobe kit?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cameo89, Mar 26, 2010.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Hmm, idk man you can't always trust evrythivg on eBay especially since it's used, bt there's a guy on here that is in this business and he should be able to give you a great deal and might only be like 80$ more, he's a great guy, very informative!

3. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

ebays a gamble. I have the whelen 90 watt model ( http://www.fleetsafety.com/-strse-18/S690CCCC-Police-Corner-Strobe/Detail.bok ) and have had it in two different vehicles for a total of 9 years. Whelens a good make, but I try not to buy any used electronics. If you can get it for $100 or less with new cables you'll be okay. More then likely after shipping you'll have to replace a bulb or two. Just keep in mind how much a new kit is. The hardest thing with strobes is the wiring. So if you run new wires and have a bad unit it's pretty easy to swap out the units.(providing you ran the right gauge power cable) SO in short whelens a good make. The key is to find out how old the unit is and proof that all strobe plugins work. Also find out where it was installed on a vehicle. Those should be installed in the cab or somewhere water/moisture proof. If it was installed under the hood of a vehicle or somewhere salt/water could get to it pass. once salt gets in the unit it never stops corroding it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  4. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

5. ajslands

Not true always! I got away with 15' cables but it was a stretch. I called a guy in mass to send me 2' of cable about a month ago and iam still waiting, but the guy is a great guy seriously the guy to talk to when buying strobes, he even helped me a few times with my cables popping, in fact he's In my contact list so. Don't need to google his name. But anyways great guy John was right tho, you get what you pay for!

6. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Understood, this will be my first real set of strobes, all I got now is a el-cheap-o $20 set from auto zone, it was a waste of an afternoon to install them..lol, so all in all I think this will be a good kit to start with, maybe if needed I will replace with all new in the next few yrs.

Also I have a 47'' code3 mx7000 with 5 rotators and I want to replace with strobe packs like this one listed, maybe this summer because mine draws a huge amount of amps.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150415770373&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

7. ajslands

Lol you got those, I had a buddy that was trying ti pursuade me to buy those, and then he bought them and said they didn't do crap and it was a waste of money! I was :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: at him. I think those only had like 3 patterns on them. The guy at auto zone wanted me to buy them and said they were realy bright. Pfff

8. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Code 3 makes kits that you can switch out the rotators for strobes or LED's... Check with www.campsafetyinc.com or some of the other places and I'm sure that they can fix you up.

9. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

well my kit came in on thursday and my brother-n-law and I installed it yesterday, and all I can say is I'm in love, it's super bright and I beleive it will do it's job for what I will use it for, now just gotta order my strobe bar and I'll be all set, I will do my best to get some pics and vids up soon.

10. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

Glad it worked out for ya!