1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a good rate?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by superdog1, Nov 9, 2011.

1. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Ok, before I start, I do know that with the price I am going to put up, my partner and I can make $$ unless it snows like it rained when Noah built the Ark. I know my costs, the average snowfall etc., so the bottom line is, I should be able to make a $$.

With that being said, here is the deal:
    I have the option of taking a contract from a local store to plow a 6.5 acre lot for around $13,500 for the year. 2" trigger, with a rule that says no more than 2" accumulation at any time. I get paid extra if I have to stack or haul, spread salt or do areas not listed on the contract. Does this seem like a normal, decent rate for this size lot?

I do understand that every area is different. The average snowfall in my area is like 25 or 26" total. I guess I am asking that if I am low balling by taking this account, or should I be getting more?. The lot has very few islands and/or obstacles and lots of places to push the snow without taking it 50 miles.

We will not be using employees to run the trucks, nor do I have to do any hand shoveling or blowing. Since I don't have any experience with large lots or seasonal plowing rates, I was just wondering...............:confused:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's not so much as to how snow you get,but how times you go out in a season.

3. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Agreed. With 2 trucks, anything under 6" will take me a few hours to clear. Its when we get storms with 18 to 24 inches! I figure I will have at least 20hrs on site to get it cleared. I am just gonna park my motor home in the lot and sleep there, Lol:redbounce

4. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

Sounds like a good gig to me.

5. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Don't know if I could do it for that but it Sounds allright for as much info you mentioned. Just gotta figure out how many times youll have to plow there and a price per visit. If you know your costs then that shouldnt be a problem to find a total price that works for you. I couldn't imagine only averaging 20"-26" a year. We get that in our first storm of the season. Lol. But like you said, every area is different. In the Cuse we average 125" a year. Last year we had 179"!!! Good luck and I hope you have the proper equipment for that lot.

6. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Thanks, I'm gonna need it!. As far as equipment is concerned, we will have 2 trucks dedicated to that lot only. One has a 7.6ft blade and the other is a 9ft blade with wings, both straight blades. We also have 2 other trucks (both 8fters) that can be there within 3 hrs of the snow falling. These trucks could also be pulled off their routes to come and help out for like 1 hr if it got really bad and we needed to play catch-up. I also have another sub on backup that has a very small route of his own (less than an hour to complete).

If everything explodes, I have access to a wheel loader and 2 medium size John Deere farm tractors with loaders on them. None of them have cabs, so they would be a last resort kind of thing or if we needed to stack or haul at some point.

I think that is more than enough, but then again, my brain isn't the best these days, Lol:dizzy:

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Interesting sentence. :confused:

I think your backup plan is sketchy at best. The money seems good if you really get the amount of snow you say you do. If you happen to get a lot of snow this season...you will be a loser.

8. grandview

I have to stop typing in the dark!:nod:

9. WIPensFan

I thought it was the alcohol talking. :jester:

10. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Thats what I thought too!. I knew what he meant though.

11. grandview

Guess we all think alike or where all drunks!:drinkup:

12. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Sounds like you have it figured pretty well at a 2" trigger and having it set as extras for relocating, salting/sanding and no sdwks. Don't know how that can be low but some on here may get $100 an hour or something. Don't know how your back up plan sounds sketchy but whatever. I guess it depends on how reliable it will you before you to get your hands on those pieces of equipment? 6 acres with no islands and not having to haul it to ten buck to should take around 7 to 8 hrs. That’s on average 10 push at a 2" trigger at $1000 a push. Do you have a cap on total amount? is not I would set that. You would have gotten screwed if you where having to do it at every 1"

13. WIPensFan

"We also have 2 other trucks (both 8fters) that can be there within 3 hrs of the snow falling. These trucks could also be pulled off their routes to come and help out for like 1 hr if it got really bad and we needed to play catch-up. I also have another sub on backup that has a very small route of his own (less than an hour to complete).

If everything explodes, I have access to a wheel loader and 2 medium size John Deere farm tractors with loaders on them. None of them have cabs, so they would be a last resort kind of thing or if we needed to stack or haul at some point."

The three hr deal is what I question the most. 6.5 Acres is a big lot, and backups getting there within 3 hrs is no good really. If everything explodes it will be too late to rally a loader and tractors. Those things need to be on site already.

SKETCHY.

14. TPC Services

OH MY BAD!!!!! wow calm down guy!!! he's talking about stacking snow. and theres a few place we have that we can stack snow after we push the lot which would mean we can bring in a loader and stack in the corner of the lot out of everyones way during the day. He may be able to or is talking about the same thing YIKES!!!! Hey, if your getting more then $1000 for six hours of work with no sdwks & salting more power to you guy, wasn't bashing anyone!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  15. WIPensFan

:laughing:I wasn't really that worked up. Just explaining what I meant because you addressed it in your previous post. No biggie, I should have been more specific on my first post.

HAVE A NICE DAY.

16. TPC Services

its a Friday an its miller time!! have a good weekend. an Go HAWKEYES!!!

17. ladder6

ladder6 Junior Member

Price is fair as long as your "estimated" snow amounts are right. If you get a handfull of "big events," you are setting yourself up for a loss. That is a big area to plow, in a big storm, with 2 trucks. Be prepared to get other equipment there in a hurry!

18. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Well, I just found out that I have to supply the salt, so I re-bid it at $15,500. I hate trying to figure out what the weather is going to do? This is worse than going to Los Vegas! I am praying for a mild winter!, Lol

19. ConnerM

ConnerM Member

With your original bid i calculated
    at $70 an hour divide by 13,500 = 192.85 hours
    split between two trucks thats about 100 hours a season at this place with each truck.
    70 seems a little high but 65 is a given but if you have to salt the place then 70 is low for sure usually salting adds at least an extra 10-20 an hour to the total price. Idk your area but you should adjust your hours accordinly

20. TPC Services

ConnerM, aren't you the same guy that started a thread asking if you would make money working for $50 bucks an hour an are now on here telling these guys that they are a little high. Im confused?? how if you have never plow as a business owner can you be giving this guys bid advice. Did I miss something on your thread you started where I am off on this??

Again Superdog1, Do you have a cap in place where if you get above normally snow fall your not screwed and also you are way low on salting if your supplying and applying it!! Your only charging $2000 more for salting. YIKES at the very least you will have 3500lbs of straight salt on it here we would be close to $300 if not more per event and like I mentioned on a earlier post if you only have 10 pushing events thats again at least $3000, I don't know what your paying for salt but salt here is $ 80 a ton. So if you where to pay the same thats $80x10 + $800 just in your salt cost so your are telling me your happy with $1200 left to pay for your wear and tear on your equipement/ labor and profit!!?? if you are more power to you. We would be more like $5000 to $6000 just to cover second salting events or if you have a couple freezing rain events on top of your 10 events we would have a cap on this also.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011