1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a good plan??

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Kentuckydiesel, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

We have had one snowstorm so far this year that was borderline plowable, I'm getting ready to start plowing for myself for the first time.
    I would like to do residential driveways in the more spread out neighborhoods and "mini farms" owned by commuters. I was considering printing out and dropping flyers in mailboxes to get some customers.

I want to put on there what I do and about how much is costs, then offer two ways of getting me there: 1) filling out their name/address/phone#, signing it, and sending it back to me with a trigger circled to get me out there asap, kind of a contract or 2) just calling me with the info when it storms or when it's about to storm, but they'll have to wait until the other people have had their drives done.

Is this a good plan??? How many normal sized residential driveways should I expect to be able to do in a 24hour period??

Until now all I've done is a huge factory parking lot/loading docks with an F-250 owned by my grandparents. That took every bit of 8 hours when the snow was deep.

Thanks, Phillip
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Would all your drives cover what you were making in one parking lot ?
    I myself would rather stay in one spot ,you'll drive more than plow doing just drives not realy sure how far you'll drive between them.
    Also will people want to wait 24 hrs to be plowed out.
  3. Kentuckydiesel

Well, for lots, most are done by the same company that takes vare of the landscaping. Also, many use wheel loaders and such. I can't compete. I can pull in 40-100 a drive here and can get enough drives to keep me running a good until the snow melts from what friends tell me about their plowing work.

I do prefer lots, but it just doesn't seem to fit right now.

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

You can't put anything in the mailbox's with out a postage stamp however you can hang a flyer's on the mailbox flag.

DOGHOUSE Member
    from Alaska

What I Did When I Started Was Put Either Business Cards Or Thumb Tag Pulls On All The Bulletin Boards I Could Find. Sooner Or Later It All Comes Together And By Word Of Mouth As Well.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

When I'm looking for new customers I go and pic the areas that I want to work in. I try to stay out of the lower income areas and stay in the higher income areas. I will put flyers in the newspaper boxes of the one that I want to do. I take a look at the driveway as i'm going by to see if I want to even attempt it. This has seemed to work well for me. Especially if you go after the long drives.

good luck to you
  7. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Becareful of Mailboxes

When I was 16, I printed a few hundred flyers and put them in mailboxes all over town. Any way, a few days later and the Post Master called me, saying if he found one more of my flyers in a mail box, he have me prosecuted with a felony. Newspaper boxes and flags are alright, but stay the hell away from the box!
  8. Kentuckydiesel

Exactly my plan. I live in a county which is still somewhat-rural but many of the people here commute into town for their jobs making many places high income areas. Many of the neighborhoods are high income and then you have a many houses on 5 or more acres with long driveways.

I had no idea about the mailbox deal. Thanks for letting me know on that. Sounds like I was about to get in trouble.