1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is this a good light bar and price?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by drivefaster35, Feb 7, 2010.

1. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

I have an 05 f250 with a 8.5 western MVP and I need a light bar of some sort that has some strobes and what not. I've never delt with any lights and was wondering if this is a good light bar and a good price for one. I'm open to any and all other suggestions I hear whelens are the best but come at a hefty premium. http://www.swps.com/ab2shledlowp.html

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have that same bar. I LOVE IT! It throws a lot of light. That same bar goes for about 300 on ebay new. Sometimes you can find it for cheaper. Either way you'll be happy with it.

3. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

i just got the same one,i love it so far

4. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

5. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

6. SafetyLighting

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

My buddy has the new MiniPinnacle in red and its bright as hell.

8. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

Go with the Whelen. I love mine!

9. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

What are the dimensions of the brackets / holes on the permanent mount? I have the utility light bracket on my backrack which is 16"x7". Will that work? Or should I just put the magnetic mount on it? How do you control the flash patterns with the permanent mount? Website only mentions a 3 position rocker switch on the cigar plug for magnetic mount.

10. SafetyLighting

Center hole length is 10"
    Center hole width us 8 5/8"

So the permanent brackets wouldn't fit your mounting plate, but Honestly I wouldn't use them anyways. I would drill the holes in that mounting plate to fit the mounting points on the base of the lightbar. It would look cleaner.

The flash patterns are changed with the white wire to + 12 volts for two seconds.

11. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

I like that permanent mounting idea, it will work and look better, thanks. Do you have an installation manual available online? I'm curious how many wires and what type of switch.

12. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

The patterns are changed on the Sound Off Mini Pinnacle by toggling the rocker switch on the 12v plug. Way better light for the money and it is FAR brighter with better 360 degree coverage and excellent brilliance. 28 flash patterns on the Sound Off vs. only 7 flash patterns on the Sho Me. Plus the Pinnacle has a sleeker lower profile and nuclear magnets. I have gone through automatic car washes with hurricane dryers and it doesn't move. Newer technology and a 5 year warranty. Plus John has them for less.

I have one, here are all 28 patterns for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6feXZmsqrws
    Here is the Sho Me bar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct42LOarLGo

You can see how much better the Sound Off Mini Pinnacle is. It is even better than the Whelens in my opinion.

Here is a good video comparison of the Whelen vs. the Pinnacle. Video starts with the Whelen on the left. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-JFbWpkWkk

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  13. SafetyLighting

14. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

15. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

I apologize if I'm hijacking this thread. First, I don't want to start a war on brand name loyalty. I had a halogen rotator mini-bar. Was pleased with it. Always wanted LED, so after much research I ordered the mini pinnacle from John@Safety Lighting. It is very bright in the dark, and also an attention getter on a sunny day from 3 blocks away. Super pleased with my purchase. I got the permanent mount. Insrtuctions were simple and clear. I removed the brackets and mounted it to a swivel bracket I handmade. The bolt pattern is 5" deep by 10" wide. So it would fit very nicely on a 16x7 utility bracket. John answered my questions honestly. If he does not know he will not blow smoke. American made, 5 year warranty, oodles of flash patterns, bright as all h***, and he offers satisfaction guaranteed. Worth every cent. ( John, here it is mounted to a swivel bracket).

IMGP0045_resize.JPG

IMGP0046_resize.JPG

16. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

mvhauler... Looks like a sweet set up you've made. I'll be honest...to see the bar up close and personal like in your photo's compared to the factory photo's does make a big difference. It makes it more like we'd have it on our vehicle instead of getting something that you may not have wanted.

I'm sure that John don't mind the pat on the back either! :laughing:

17. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

Nice installation! I like the magnetic mount for the versatility, plus I don't use it in the summer so I take it off to keep it out of the sun. I did the video on mine, I wish all the manufacturers would post video's on all the lights patterns and intensity. Best light for the money in my opinion.

[​IMG]

Here is a video I did on 3 different lights I have (had).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S3lZ0WcS4c

I sold the 911EP on the left, which was a decent light, but expensive, my new Pinnacle in the middle, and an old school rotator on the right. I like the rotator "pop", but it looks Mayberry old school, and it not as versatile or streamlined as the new lights. The new lights like the pinnacle give have the effect of the old rotators, with more versatility and a much better look.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  18. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Thank you, Pirsch. Yamahatim, I think it's great that you posted videos, there was not much to compare with when I purchased this one. This light is removeable too. Square stock inside of square tubing. Quick disconnect for the wiring. Comes right out, and all that is left is the angle iron bolted to the headache rack.

IMGP0047_resize.JPG

19. SafetyLighting

Awesome setup MV.

Thanks for the vids Tim. I haven't had a chance yet but I'm going to post them on my site. I appreciate you letting me use them.

It's funny. I have sold the Mini-Pinnacles with a money-back guarantee to a bunch of people. I have yet to get one back. I think knowing that you can send it back if you don't like it, makes a big difference in the sale.

20. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Saftey Lighting...........you get my last two e-mails?