1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crazymike, Nov 25, 2004.

1. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I had to go away for work for a few weeks but I'm finaly back and ready to get things set up.

I can't find the truck I want with a plow, so I'm going to put one one.

I found a used western 8.5' V plow with a fisher speed caster salter for $3500 CAD. They look to be in good shape and can be seperated.

I don't *need* a salter, but I will be doing sub work, so anything helps.

How much am I looking at for a western uni mount (just the mount). And how big of a pain is it to remove the salt spreader?

Also, how hard is the salt spreader on the truck? It's just a tailgate mount, does most of it end up behind the truck? Or does it end up all over the truck?

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Salt just flies everywhere. You need to put a deflector between the salter and the bumper to stop salt from going under the truck. That sounds like a good deal to me. What type of spreader is it? They have mounts on ebay to check pricing. Thae salter should come off quite easily.

3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

fisher speed caster

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

This is a gravity type spreader then. It is not a spead caster 2 with a belt on the bottom. The 2 will spread bulk salt and sand salt. The other one will only spread bagged salt.

5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

k thanks.

I'm not crazy on the idea of spreading salt, but it will keep me busy all winter for the most part. I found a nice truck I like in London, I'm going to go look at it next week. However, do you think $30,000 is too much to spend on a plow truck? I would get full use of it all summer as well. But how long do plow trucks last if properly taken care of?

It's a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are to look after your truck well I would say a long time. The price seems pretty good as diesels are expensive. I have a 2000 Dodge 3500 CTD. I have had to change the ball joints and 3 universals on the drive shaft. If you are borrowing all $30,000 then find out how much interest you are going to pay because you can't get 0%. There is a brand new 05 Duramax 2500HD regular long box for $43,000 including taxes here in Aurora. If there are financing specials on you would not be to far off that price with the 02 you are looking at. You will pay around 9% interest. There is more money in salting then plowing!!!

7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I'm going to put it on my line of credit. With around $6-7000 down as soon as I sell my current car. This way I can get around %5 and just pay interest if need be. I'm pretty sure I can pay the truck off over the summer with my summer job and maybe make some money hauling horses if need be. But with personal credit line I can take as long as I want to pay it off or as quick as I want with no penalty.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I use my line all the time. The Dodge will be good for hauling. They are all good trucks. If you get a lemon you are screwed. If you don't then we all walk around saying you have the best made truck. The best truck I ever had was a 94, 3500 SRW GMC Diesel. In 6 years of hard plowing I spend $2500 on repairs(excellent). So I bought a brand new 98 Chev 3500 dually cab and a 1/2 diesel. Had it 11 months, biggest POS I have had. Who knows, its just a crap shoot.

9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

yep. I will be sure to ask the dealer why it was sold. Although I probably won't get a straight answer, you never know.

10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

MIKE.......What kind of truck did the plow come off of?

Ya know the it can get $pendy for a new push bar or wiring harness as I just found out...........

I just swapped plows from my 01 chevy to a 04.........
    Had to buy a new wiring harness and switch from the relays to the isolation module....Almost 500 bucks !!!!

At least I didnt have to buy a new $400 push bar........geo

11. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

hmm, thanks. The plow came off a chevy, so I would need new everything. But $500 is still cheaper than a new plow setup. Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding used plows off of a dodge. Or used dodges.