1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is this a good deal on a chevy plow truck?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by cward05, Feb 23, 2009.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

2. JCStrasser

JCStrasser Member

Do you want to plow with a manual?

I have plowed with autos and manuals and I definitely prefer an automatic transmission.

My biggest question about that truck is the condition of the clutch after 140k miles, some it while plowing.

Just a couple of things to think about.

Good luck,
    John

3. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

I'm with JC on this one. I am now plowing with a standard after years with automatics and it's no picnic.second too slow third no power. And I would ask about the clutch condition also.

4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't buy a 1/2 ton with 140k and a plow on it at any price... not enough truck to be plowing with in my opinion and it's getting up there in miles.
    I think the price is high I would look for a 3/4 ton truck

5. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

I agree about the manual transmission. You almost need a 2.5 gear. Also - i have found that after I plow for a day or two that my shoulder is killing me from shifting so much.

6. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

I agree and your left leg if you have a heavy duty clutch! Plus one hand on the shifter and one on plow control, what do you steer with! LOL

7. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

hey guys,
    Well actually, my 1st truck was an 83 chevy k10 that was manual and I loved that beast...I actually didn't mind plowing w/ a manual since it's only basically my driveway I am doing. That's why I figured a 1/2 ton would suffice again. But I agree about the clutch...that makes sense. I just want a semi-cheap, but reliable plow rig that I can have fun with. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Well if it is just for dirveway then go with the 1/2 ton. It will work and it is not like you are going to be going in reverse alot if you just making some passes up and down the drive.

9. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i had the same truck but with a meyer plow, it plowed great with the 5.3 and posi rear, i do think that the truck may be alittle tired and the plow is too heavy for it! if you think that its the one for you, offer them $6500 for it, and it should leave you with room to play, (for repairs) also i installed timbrens on my old 2000, front and back, it took about one hour, and it was easy, i was putting wall stone in the back and the guys at the mason supply store took pictures of it, they could not believe the truck only squated about one inch... i pushed alot of snow with mine as well.