1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a good buy??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by plowin boy, Feb 19, 2006.

1. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

Went and looked at a 7ft standard pro plow today(unimount) that a guy has for sale, very good condition from the looks of it, he has all controls, harness. Was bought at an auction a couple years ago for $3800.00 he is asking $1000.00. Is this a good buy considering I will have to buy a truck mount and wings?? What do you guys think of unimounts?? I am going to put it on a 2003 GMC sierra 1/2 ton extended cab short bed truck. also, does anyone know if this plow will fit any unimount truck mount??(the plow is probably 4 maybe 5 years old) Wasn't for sure if the A-frame is different or not. Thanks for your help.

2. Alaska Tim

Alaska Tim Member
    from Alaska

Call Western.

Sounds like a good deal. I bought a set up w/ the uni-mount. I paid $2000.00
    for the set up. However, I had to buy a Dodge mount. Since it came w/ a Chevy mount. That was close to $500.00 All in all it was a good deal.
    Plow was only 2 yrs old, used 2 times. And it looked brand new. Western would be your best resourse for help. I'd call them first. If you go for it you'll like it, its easy, about a 2 min on/off gig.:cool:

3. Alaska Tim

Alaska Tim Member
    from Alaska

Oh yeah..

Half-ton will be fine, if thats ia all you have. Consider timbren's, it'll take the sag out of the front end & save on your suspention too. Plus you'll need Ballast wieght (to counter the wieght of the plow) Believe it's a DOT law too.

4. Alaska Tim

Alaska Tim Member
    from Alaska

Never

Never mind plow boy, I saw your picture's of your truck. Nice truck.
    Sorry about the replies earlier.:drinkup:

5. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

Tim, How did you wire it up beings it was wiring from a chevy truck and you were putting it on a dodge? Did you have to buy different lights? Did you buy any light and/or wiring kits to make it all work? Thanks for your help Scott

6. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

anyone have a picture of a 99 chevy/GMC uni mount

Wondering if anyone has a picture of the mount that i would need for a 2003 GMC Sierra 1500. I can then compare it to what is for sale. It is the uni mount system. I have held the one up to my truck that is for sale, but i dont see how it would work, but then again i have never seen how the mount looks under a truck.

Thanks guys, i appreciate any help possible.

Scott

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/63352_100102.pdf

Mount will look like the one in the link. You will have to do some cutting of the plastic air dam on the lower portion of the bumper. As for the wiring, dont have my book here but can look up what you will need tomorrow.

8. Alaska Tim

Alaska Tim Member
    from Alaska

Sure did

Plow boy (Scott)
    Yes sir, I did have to get new lights & wiring harness. All in all it worked out ok. I'm pretty happy w/ the whole installation. Good Luck on yours.

9. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

Thanks alot Tim