1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a gas or diesel engine?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MatthewG, Mar 30, 2011.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

1998 Chevy 3500

2. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Looks like gasser trash. (note the air intake goes to what should be the carb)

The air filter would go to the turbo, then the charged air would go to the intake on the diesel OR it could be a non-turbo but those were only 6.2L Diesels. I dont think they ever made a NON-turbo 6.5L diesel (6.5's were in the 94-00?)

3. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

Gas. one battery, and air going to the intake manifold gives it away.

You should be able to open the gas cap, or look on the gauage cluster and see if it says diesel fuel or unleaded.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Gas for sure.
  5. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Gasoline powered
  6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

7. MatthewG

Well I guess its unanimous, its at a pa state auction, so there are not many details:

98 3500 with plow, auto 75K 4x4

What Should I bid?

8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

same here gasser
  9. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Gas, I see its also lacking A/C and probably all other creature comforts. Bid cautiously. I'm guessing that it was a state truck and probably beat day in and day out. On the other hand, it was probably kept up with routine maintenance. Hard to price things sight unseen. Any extra info would be helpful.
  10. Mr.Markus

Did you buy it?...... What did it go for?
  11. MatthewG

Nope Nope, auction April 11, stay tuned I will update, they also have many f 350 ex pendot crew cab flat beds, maybe for the right price I could make those 2wd buggies work
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

One dollar higher than the next highest bidder.
  13. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

From a state auction, without being able to drive it or know a good vehicle history (was it plowing highways for 90hrs a storm or did it plow one small dot yard every 2in) No a/c and I am guessing no power windows/locks and probably only has am/fm radio, no tape or cd. I think I would stay at $5,000 or less if possible. It looks good don't see any real rust on the cab or body. I think anything more than 5 is risky giving the circumstances, at worst you could sell the plow for 2 grand and be able to part out or just sell the truck to get money back if it turned out to be a disaster, what's everyone else thoughts?
  14. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

I always kinda bumm out when I go to the auction and come home with a new ride ... family business ...

cause it means I paid more than anyone else would to get the vehicle ... who was there anyway

I know - but Ya buying wholesale ... but I'm still paying more than any else there

sure - better whole sale than retail ... just saying -

after I use it for some years & done with it, I usually just run it through the auction, to avoid being around retail pain in the a$$ buyers ... and all the BS that goes with it ...

so it balances out - somewhat -

at the auction a green light car means the vehicle is still under the manufacturers warranty - so not alot of risk (though most sales are final - you own it) ... that' the deals I look for ... but yellow & red light cars can be bought REAL CHEAP -but you better know your *****

yellow light = check engine light on or something else (see listed info) may be negotiable

Red light = As Is - no returns - might need a wrecker
  15. Mr.Markus

Sounds like you go to Barret/Jackson Auctions. The crap I go to is all red light, "You bought it, pay up and get it out of here, gate closes at 6:00. Dogs are let loose at 6:01" lol
  16. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

many moons ago I was a red light buyer

I once bough a 2 year old caddy coupe de ville for less than 1/2 wholesale - had an engine knock - no other bidders ! warranty was over because it had 51,000 mile - got it home and my friend/mechanic was right on - just an exhaust leak that sounded REAL BAD when first started up cold - cheap fix

but another time I bought a 4wd Blazer as is and the Transfer case blew before I got it home - that was a $ loser -

now I know - when the vehicle comes in on a flatbed - watch out - if they wouldn't drive it in - it may not make it home ...