1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a fair deal?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beanz27, Oct 14, 2013.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So I haven't done sub work. I've done my own stuff, and worked for others driving their equipment. I have an idea what I think is a fair deal for what I have, but I'm really not positive.

I just got a 1997 F350 DRW flatbed with a 8.5 MVP Diesel. I've been calling around all the area contractors asking about if they need subs etc etc. I've had a couple say their interested, but I'd have to call back in a few weeks after they lock in contracts. One guy made an offer, that I think is a bit low. He offered me $65 an hour for this truck. Is it really worth it for that?

I know everyone's area is different, but what do you guys think? I thought something like this would be worth around $80 an hour. Thanks for any help guys.
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

For running around here your not doing to bad. For 80/hr around here you better be a good operator with a setup that can really move some snow and have a way to set yourself apart from the rest of the subs that makes you worth significantly more.
  3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

driving his truck for $65 thats good $, but wouldnt that make you his employee?
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

$65/hr for him to drive his own truck.

If I could drive someone elses pickup for $65/hr sign me up!
  5. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

For an 8.5 it's in the ballpark. Mark is right about having a set up that really moves snow adding more, and being a good, reliable operator. Not saying you aren't, just that once it's known, you're worth more.

Work hard for a year, add a wide-out or similar and ask for more money.
  6. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Add a $7,000 plow and ask for $ 10 more per hour? Confused?
  7. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

For my area 65 is in the ball park, maybe 70, not 80 though.
  8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Thanks guys, seems as though I was misinformed. I've got two other guys that are an option also. One will get back to me tomorrow. He said he cannot do 65 an hour, He'd offer me something tomorrow. I wouldn't think a truck like this would be worth less then 50 an hour at absolute worst would it?
  9. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

A used wideout is not 7k. If you think they are, I'll hand deliver mine to you. And where did I say "ask for $10 more per hour"?

I don't doubt your confused. :drinkup: