1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mainerenegade, Dec 14, 2012.

1. mainerenegade

mainerenegade Junior Member
    from rumford

I have about 2,500 feet of walk ways that i manage. No more then 3 feet wide at maxium in spots. Figured i could carry a bucket and throw sand to cover them. What a pain in the ass this is. And no way to get a wheeler or small machine in to put a small spreader on the back. So what i am wondering is are there any walk behind sand/salt spreaders out there? If so how much and where can i get these. The only thing i have found is small fertilizer spreaders.

2. Kirkbride Lawn

Kirkbride Lawn Junior Member

spreader

Snow-Ex has one and so does Salt Dogg. I am sure there are others. They run anywhere from $250-400.

3. mainerenegade

from rumford

Thanks. Now these should spread sand as well?

4. tebletlawns

tebletlawns Member

Depending on what you want to spend, you could get a ride on fert spreader by lesco or cub cadet. Don't see why you couldn't run sand through it, just turn the application rate down. You could even run liquid ice melt through them too.

5. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Bobcat 4 series with a 54 inch angle plow, and a spreader. 36 inch clearance with the small tires. Done and Done.

6. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Look up Epoke spreaders...They are awesome for salt. Not sure if they are meant for sand.

7. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

What??????....Read the post.....Lets go drop 20 grand for this project..........:dizzy:

Great Spreaders.....Very well built....Worth every penny......:salute:

8. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

My educated response is that I have tried to spread sand with one or two of my spreaders and it didn't work.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I put a fertilizer spreader on my atv and I put a rubber skirt around it so it will drop it same width as the atv Tested with sand work well I was happy and tested with pelltize lime still work well
    Now need snow to do a field test with Icemelt and sand

I paid $70 for the spreader and used baler belt priceless

10. mainerenegade

from rumford

"Figured i could carry a bucket and throw sand to cover them"

11. mainerenegade

from rumford

So what i am wondering is are there any walk behind sand/salt spreaders out there?

12. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

You asked if they existed,

13. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Wow it seems like this entire country needs some snow!

My snowex-65 spreads sand and crushed lime just fine, maybe a couple shakes here and there.

14. mainerenegade

from rumford

My snowex-65 spreads sand and crushed lime just fine, maybe a couple shakes here and there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I will look into these...

15. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Have you tried typing in the search engine on your browser the words, walk behind salt spreader?
    Did you window shop any sites like Northern tool or even ebay or craigs list?

I'll do the leg work for you this time but you'll need to learn how to find the answers you need by actually looking for them. I did a search and found thousands of sites related to walk behind salt spreaders. Don't get to excited when you see the list of spreaders Northern tool has. You might not have to look anywhere else!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...val+salt-spreaders+walk-behind-salt-spreaders

16. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

In his defense, I believe he was looking for first hand experience, so he didn't go buy some POS and end up not liking it.

17. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I don't see where he's looking for first hand experience at all. He doesn't even know if they make them yet he's found the typical homeowner spreader. Again, all he'd have to do is a quick google search for "walk behind salt spreader" and he'd have his hands full all day reading about all the different brands. Then he can make a wise decision on what will work best for him.

18. mainerenegade

from rumford

Well I figured since this was a forum full of people that plow / ice manage for a living i figured someone here that all ready has product of what i am looking for would of chimed in. And could of lead me toward the product that worked best for them.

And i dont want just a salt spreader like you told me to look up. I want something that can handle both. "SAND/SALT spreader"

19. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I have the same problem. We have many narrow gravel pedestrian paths and salt is useless on permeable surfaces. Have tried all manner of spreaders. We run 90/10 sand-salt to keep the pile in the shed from freezing b/c we use it on roads & drives in the truck spreader. In the end we put out a bunch of barrels w/ sand in them at multiple spots and keep them full w/ ATV & cart when it isn't snowing. You get pretty good at winging and flinging sand with a shovel for good coverage in a minimum amount of time.

20. MARK SUPPLY

MARK SUPPLY Member

Look up Earthway High Output spreaders theyve got a model starts @ $100 bucks. Make sure it is the blue hopper designed for Salt n such.