1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is there reason why heavy lead foot are bad for engine?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Milwaukee, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I talk some guys. They say that if you are REAL heavy on gas pedal in city it will kill engine fast.

Well my friend who have 2 vehicles with 5.4L it have 100,000 miles IN CITY or plow never on highway in life. Didn't change oil often.

Rev to 5,000 rpm or high all time when smash on gas pedal.

It still running like nothing wrong with it.

How would it hurt engine if do daily? wear out? Is there reason?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Short and simple, friction and impact value.

3. Milwaukee

if it have good expensive oil that wouldn't help?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

With Friction

5. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

high rpms wear out bearings and such much quicker. now the ford engines are over head cams, chevys still using pushrods which produce more power but the pushrods just wont hold up so well for prolonged high rpms like the overheads will ....

6. Milwaukee

That explained why V8 5.4L still last without issues. It bounce on rev limiter before it was owner who try hurried to get in way.

Doesn't SOHC engine run more quiet than OHV? I have been listen to several engines when rev to 3-5k rpm.

What about when engine is cold and oil is cold so it bad idea to start and floor on gas like you stolen? That will make worst?

7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

what u guys doin dry hops:D

8. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

thats not good on any engine. let the oil thin out so it can flow thorougly!!!! the fords have a anti drainback valve on the oil filters (motorcraft filters) that allow oil to bypass the filter until the engine warms up. there have been numerous cases posted on ford-trucks of owners using fram, stp, felpro most of the autoparts filters with blown motors. just make sure u use the motorcraft filters in the winter....

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

OH God....here we go with Motorcraft filters again.
    Running an engine at high RPM's puts ALOT of stress on moving parts. The shock (forces) from idle to high RPM will cause metal to fatigue quicker.

10. Milwaukee

suzuki0702 is right

I use motorcraft oil filter on ford vehicles.

20780 1997-2009 MULTIPLE VEHICLE - 4.6L/5.4L - ENGINE TICKING AND/OR RATTLE NOISE
    MULTIPLE VEHICLE LINES WITH 4.6L OR 5.4L ENGINE MAY EXPERIENCE AN ENGINE TICKING OR RATTLE NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE A STUCK TAPPET (HLA). THIS MAY BE DUE TO THE DETERIORATION OF AN AFTERMARKET OIL FILTER. VEHICLES WITH THIS CONDITION HAVE LOW OIL PRESSURE AT ONE CYLINDER HEAD ONLY, WHILE MAIN PRESSURES ARE NORMAL. DISLODGED MATERIAL FROM THE AFTERMARKET OIL FILTER BLOCKS THE CAM CAP OIL PASSAGE, EITHER AT CYLINDER #4 (RIGHT BANK REAR) OR CYLINDER #5 (LEFT BANK FRONT).FOR VCT EQUIPPED ENGINES, INSPECT THE VCT VALVE BODY AND THE OIL PASSAGES UNDER THE FIRST CAM CAP. FORD RECOMMENDS THE USE OF FORD APPROVED FILTERS ONLY. DAMAGE TO ENGINES CAUSED BY AFTERMARKET OIL FILTERS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.
    EFFECTIVE DATE: 05/01/2009

Now I understand.
    If we accelerator slow that should be ok?

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

That just says Ford approved filters, nothing about only Motorcraft filters. Purolator filters have the anti-drainback valve also.

12. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

An anti drainback valve in an oil filter doesn't make the oil bypass the filter, ever. An anti drainback valve does just that... it prevents the oil from draining out of the filter when the engine is not running. That's all. Most good filters have this feature.

13. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

yes but motorcraft places this in the bottom of the filters...others do not...also been reports of "junky" filters paper coming apart and plugging oil passages. just reccomending safe practices for the modular engine...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  14. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

An anti drainback valve is nothing but a rubber disc that only allows oil to flow only one way through the filter. When you look at filter, it can be seen, right at the top through the inlet holes ( the series of holes around the perimiter of the filter). I think you're referring to a filter bypass valve, which allows oil to bypass the filter if it becomes plugged. Some filters have this features, others do not. Either way, the oiling system in the engine has a filter bypass built in, in the event that the filter becomes plugged, the engine is not starved for oil.

15. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Amen !!!!!

16. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

thought you were deaf? or at least thats what it used to say under your name.

17. Milwaukee

You could feel vibrant and you wear hear aid. I can hear is 85 decibel or higher.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  18. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

ohhh. i just didnt understand. got it now.