1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is There Any Way to figure out how much to charge for salting?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bihnsmoked, Sep 24, 2006.

1. bihnsmoked

bihnsmoked Junior Member

i was wondering if there is any1 out there who could give me a few ways to go about my bidding of salting as this is my first year with a spreader does any1 just charge a % of the price to plow the lot and how does it work and what % if u do? thanks Brian
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Best way to charge for salting is by the ton or yard - applied. Or charge a flat rate per trip and plan to average over several trips as you will use more or less depending on conditions, such as amount of ice or temps. Charging by % of what you charge to plow is not a good guide. You really want tos just develop a sense of what it will take for a certain area.
  3. bihnsmoked

bihnsmoked Junior Member

still not sure

ok well then i would like to know if any1 could give me some kinda idea on far it will last or how much u charge by the ton i think i can get a ton for about $56.00 not sure yet but if so what would u suggest i charge per ton and how long should that last me minimum?
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

• what spreader do you have
    • what are your salt prices
    • how much does it cost you to drive your truck around (gas, insurance, upkeep etc)
    • what kind of deicing/anti-icing are you doing (salt only, plow & salt, heavy, light)
    there is no magic number, you must know what your costs are to figure out how much to charge. application rates will vary also but generally you can expect about 14-18, 50lb bags per 46k sqft
  5. bihnsmoked

bihnsmoked Junior Member

ya i will be plowing and then salting when it needs it im just trying to figure around how far people spred the salt i know its depending on factors but a general idea is all im after...i have a f250 crew cab w western 7.5 steel plow and a buyers 300 pound spreader my price for salt is $56 a ton im not going to do the most salting im just tryin to see how a ton of salt spreads so i can figure a price
    thanks again every1 Brian
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

$56/ton, is that for bulk salt? I don't think that spreader you have will spread bulk salt, will it?
  7. MOPIG74

MOPIG74 Junior Member

Because I dont have the means to handle bulk just yet,I get my salt by the pallet's. 25 - 80# bags on one pallet. My cost is about $5 per bag.I charge $18.00 per bag to spread it.I put 3 bags in the hopper,so I get $54.00 a hopper load.Most places I do, useally takes 2-3 hopper loads to do.I haven't had any complaints about my price,who knows, maybe I'm too cheap.But that's how I price it,by the bag. If your getting into bigger lot's,you may want to adjust your price.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try salting then plow when needed. Pre applying the salt will keep the snow from freezing to the ground, give you better traction when you plow and help the roads clear faster and better.

Try going to the search option on the gray band on top of the page and type in "salt application". should give you plenty of information.
  9. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

At $55.00 per ton it sounds like you will be buying in bulk. Personally, I wouldn't buy in bulk with only a 300# salter. You'll need to build a box to keep the salt in the back of your truck, you'll spend time shoveling it from your salt pile to the truck then more time wasted shoveling from the pile in your truck to the salter. Then, what if you don't use all the salt in your bed? Too many variables in my opinion. If I had your spreader I would buy salt in 50# bags. Easier to load into the truck, easier to store, easier to load into the hopper, and easier to unload if you don't use it all. The downside is it is considerably more expensive than bulk salt.

Either way, I would get at least 3X the purchase price. I pay close to $60 per ton for bulk salt and I buy 21 ton at a time. I charge $200 per ton applied but I have 6 wheeler with a hydro under-bed spreader and a 3/4 ton and a V-box. I burn through 21 ton in a typical event.

Personally, your 300 pound spreader would be fine for small gas stations. Depending on the weather, amount of snowfall, and vehicle & pedestrian traffic a typical smaller gas station could easily eat up 300 pounds of salt.

Don't forget that high pedestrian traffic areas and concrete will often require ice melt that doesn't corrode like #1 rock salt. Instead of running NaCl you will be running Calcium or Magnesium.