1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is There Any Money Left In Plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by davewh, Oct 20, 2008.

1. davewh

davewh Member

Maybe I'm way off base, but I just got out bid on two contracts both churchs both 1 acre lots and walkways and salt, unlimited plows over 3cm for 165.00 a month Nov till April.
    what the @$@$^$^(*&. my quotes are a least double that am I that far off base?:mad:

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Check the lot mid winter and see how it looks......the company that won the bid may be out of business by then!

3. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I've been underbid by about 1/2 on every place I've heard back from so far. One of which was a church, same deal, they had a bid in for $1,000 from someone. Around these parts, that's barely more than I'd charge for a driveway, let alone a church with a 1/2 acre lot and a 25x150 drive. It's definitely discouraging!

4. davewh

davewh Member

I here ya i just dont get it, half the time I feel guilty because I think I'm low, and I here ya I charge around 450-700 for a driveway.

5. sherwin

sherwin Member

With the record winter we had last year everybody with anything that resembles a truck bought a plow. So now we have all these guys with no idea what the actual expenses are and have not had trannys go out mid storm think it's a piece of cake to charge 40-50 bucks an hour and have it be a cash cow. We try for $125 hr.- any less than $100 I might as well get a different job. One nice account we have had for 3 yrs. just told me they got a bid for 2/3 my price and wondered if I could go lower. I told them I bid to stay in business and do the quality and attention people expect. I let them know if they go with a lower price I will be filling their slot and not available in the future. I think they will stick with us, I will know on Wed. We had 10 lean years for snow which really helped the guys around here get their prices to a good level by having the competition low, one year of good snow and the idiots come out of the woodwork trying to ruin the industry.

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

$165 per month for UNLIMITED plowing???????????????? Wow. Thank Gaaaaaaaaad im not in your area. And you got Outbid??????????? That sounds incredibly low to me. 4 driveways at $40 a piece will yield you $160. Thats on a 6" storm. Not all month, no matter what. Sounds like it might be time to switch gears bro....

7. davewh

davewh Member

I totally agree with you and what you said to your customer was great "I quote to saty in business" I love that. I to am a believer in doing a great job as well, but you know you would think that this stuff has been going on for soooo long that most customers would know better. but they dont go figure!!!

8. davewh

davewh Member

I know my jaw is still wide open, we do residential drive ways all you do is drop the plow and back up and your gone for like 600.00 a season. no salt no shovel. I'm see more and more of this everyday. its very discouraging. Maybe I'll start giving away a free steak knife set with every contract LOL

9. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

i bet the guy that beet you is a member of the church with a jeep and a plow or maybe an atv and he thinks he's doing the church a favor by saving the church money. a one acre lot in my neck of the woods goes for 165 per push. and you got beat that is nuts

10. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Lumps,

I have a hard time getting $300 for a drive in the southtowns. There is also some new guy this year advertising $195 driveways in our area.

11. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Churchs are weird. Im bidding one where the parking lot has got to be 1+ acres, for about $1100 a month + Salt.

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  12. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

the guys probably have a FT job somewhere are probably just working out of their garage and it's probably good $$$ to them....... i'm sure it happens in the mowing biz too....

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

There is still good money to be made plowing.
    Now days you just have to look a little harder and ALWAYS do quality work.

14. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Your going to have this at times. Some people feel different about churches and vol. fire co.
    mike

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

As others mentioned "Church", some member thinks they are helping them out because we all know churches have no money.

16. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yeah, that is why we have 2-3 new ones built here every year, or they are adding on, renovating.

17. lumps

lumps Senior Member

$195? That's like $8 a push... I'd burn more than that in gas, haha.

18. davewh

davewh Member

If I have this straight so u charge 300.00 for a seasonal contract at about anything more than 5cm and your there to do the snow every time and someone undercut you by I/3 what the $$&&#73 I'm going back to bed.

19. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ultimate diss

I bid a church for $1375.00/mth + $125.00 per walkway clearing to a max of 5 visits per month.

The winning bid was FREE dollars and no sense (I do mean sense not cents!). Dude bought a truck and is going to plow the ENTIRE church and do all the walkways for NOTHING more than a nod from a God he cannot see.

20. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Sounds like you need to pay the church to allow you to plow it so you can 1-up him.