1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is there adifference between MM1 and MM2 frames?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cnybill, Nov 16, 2013.

1. cnybill

cnybill Junior Member

I recently bought a 2004 Ram 2500 and set of 7120 push plates for it. When I tried to hook up to my MM1 plow frame the plowside frame seems to hit the inside of the travel on the push plates about an inch short of the pins lining up. The truckside tabs that slide into the plowside receiver do appear shorter the the old push plates I had on my 2001 Ram 1500 but I thought it was just an optical illusion due to the size difference. I think I can modify the plow frame to make it fit but I was wondering if the mismatch is because the plates are for MM2 and my frame is MM1? Thanks for any info.

2. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

I just upgraded to a MM2 on my 99 Ram from a MM1. I to had a problem hooking it to the truck the first time. It seems you have to line it up just right on the MM2. After I did that it hooked up just fine and all worked as it should

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have had both (MM 1 & 2's) we have been able to use them interchangeably without any alterations.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Dodge 03 ram and it takes 7170 push plates. You may have the wrong set for your truck. Check the Fisher e match page to make sure that isn't the problem before doing a bunch of unnecessary mod work.

5. cnybill

cnybill Junior Member

The push plates are 7170-2...typo on my part. It just seems the headgear bottoms out inside the truck side before the pins can line up.

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

On mine you need to pull into the coupler, release the pins then lift on the head gear under the lights to get the pins to engage. The only time I have had the experience you describe is when we have had an ice event then you have to chip the ice out which sucks.

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you have all of your wire harnesses out before you hook your plow up too. For whatever reason when you get the plow on you can't open the hood to pull them out. Poor design if you ask me.

8. cnybill

cnybill Junior Member

That's what I was working on. I pulled into the headgear as always until I started pushing it forward then got out and lifted into place. When I got it vertical the pins were still about an inch behind the hole in the plates. I'm going to try hooking up again tomorrow in better light and see where I'm binding. might have to apply some angle grinder and acetylene torch. Thanks for the replies