1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a way????

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by bobcat s-160, Apr 4, 2007.

1. bobcat s-160

bobcat s-160 Senior Member
    from MI

Hi, I have a bobcat and a john deere the john deere has about 60 horse and the bobcat has about 60 horse so they should be about the same in power right? Well the john deere would smoke the bobcat anyday. The john deere won't pull down much, but the bobcat does, I could stall it. The bobcat seems to have good power, but when you are pushing into a pile and raising the bucket at the same time it really loses power. Is there anything I can do to get a little more power out of it?????????? The bobcat is new and all filters clean.

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Do both have a turbo? You need one to have reliable power.

3. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Ok don't worry I won't say anything about deere vs. bobcat!!! Ok now to the facts your deere has 61hp and your cat is 56hp, both turbo powered. If you look at the axle torque on the deere it is rated pretty good so it should have good pushing power 4,450lb.-ft. Your bobcat is rated at 1600lbs and the deere is 1750(2100lbs w/weights) The deere is a bigger machine even though the motors are close to the same size. The deere is really closer to a s175/s185. What size buckets do the machines have? If you are driving into the pile fast while lifting your using multiple functions which uses alot of power. I don't know of anything you can do to get more power that won't compromise reliability. Are you running the bobcat at the recommened operating rpm? I know if I don't run my NH. @ 2900rpm's it's half the machine it can be! I guess use the deere on tougher jobs and the bobcat when you need the smaller machine. I know this isn't much help but, Good luck!!!

4. bobcat s-160

bobcat s-160 Senior Member
    from MI

The Bobcat has the counter weight so it is rated a 1,700. The deere doesn't have the counter weight.The bobcat has 4,900lb.-ft axle torque. When i'm dumping a load and have the lift arms raised and the bucket in the dump postion then when i back up lower the arms and roll back the bucket all at the same time the engine really dies down. Now i know it is going to some, but it shouldn't that much

5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

If it's that bad take it to your dealer. It's new right? Give them crap! Tell them you want to know why your bobcat isn't working like your deere. Just see what they say, can't hurt. (hopefully they won't tell you nothing runs like a deere !!!) I don't know why your machine would load up the motor while lowering the boom. It might be something about the way they plumb their hydrualics? Maybe a valve is sticking?
    Again good luck !!!! Hope you can get it figured out !!!

6. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

Take it back to the dealer , have him hook it up to the computer. I would bet that the rpm needs to be bumped up a lil. You would be amazed what 150-200 rpm can do. Could also have them do a flow test on the pump.

Scott