1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a way to "manually" lower a Fisher MM2 without a functioning controller?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Feb 12, 2013.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

As per my other post, I'm still having issues. Took the module to be tested today and dealer said their machine is broken :gunsfiring:. Don't like the idea of dropping $250 for a module that can't be returned if that isn't the problem... If anyone has one for a Chevy/GMC near Eastern CT or anywhere in RI, I'd appreciate being able to drive to you and "borrow" it for a second...

In the mean time, I need to get the plow off the truck so I can drive it when needed, and right now it is paralyzed mostly up. Is there a way to manually and SAFELY lower the blade to the ground? I'm thinking if I cracked the fill port that fluid would shoot everywhere, but perhaps I'm overthinking it.

Thanks in advance.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Could back the lift hose off a little bit..yeah it'll make a mess, but the plow will be down. When I broke a conical spring, my 8' HD was up for 36+ hours...drove it to work like that.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Just found the answer I think I need - get power to S1 coil will enable float, and I should be able to get it off.

I realize I can drive with it on there, but its 80 miles roundtrip to work, excluding the roughly 25 miles to/from the dealer, and there is also the concern that for some reason it would power up and float down, then I'd have to go find somewhere to run it up and get tools to short chain it (in business casual attire :laughing:).

4. ctuna

ctuna Junior Member

Take a stillson wrench and back off the packing nut until it drops.

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Just gave power to S1, and came right down, no fuss, no mess.

6. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

Jack up plow with floorjack to take tension off plow. Either undo lift piston hose and slow depress ram so fluid can collect in a cup, or undo chain at a frame mount. Then lower floor jack slowly reconnect either point you chose to disconnect

7. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking that too, but I imagine he would have tried that and his plow is all the way up to the stops already.

8. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

:/ good point i didnt think of that.... Then in that case i would put a rag around the lift piston hose and slowly let it bleed out... 7 dollar quart isnt soo bad to replace!

9. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

If you have the ability (torx bit and jumper wire), just put 12v to the positive terminal on the S1 (IIRC its the closest to the driver side) coil on the back of the pump. It is the same exact thing the controller does when you push down/float. If your wiring is OK and you have the pin-out diagram for the plug with the 3 pins for the pump control, you could just apply 12v to the wire for the S1 coil so then you wouldn't have to pull off the coil cover to make it one step easier.

Compared to all the suggestions above (which are good, and would be a good backup if you had no electrical due to dead battery etc.), it is the easiest & cleanest way, plus its free :)

PS. Theholycow is correct in that it was up against the stops.