1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a way to increase the rate of fall on my ex85

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by snowcrazy, Dec 19, 2010.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Okay fellas, I am a rookie for sure and maybe this is a question that may be goofy to most but is there a way to get my plow to lower at a quicker rate. Im tired of waiting on the darn thing. I am VERY happy with the plow except for this issue. If it would fall at the same rate it goes up, or side to side it would be a lot better as far as Im concerned. I do parking lots so tons of up and down. I back up with the plow up and when I put the truck in drive and hit the lower button its a waiting game....................

Thank you for your time

Robin Wash Georgetown Ohio

2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Definitely - it's in the owners manual but a lot of people miss it (and dealers too apparently). On the front of the HPU there is a slotted adjustment with a jam nut. Loosen the jam nut and turn the screw CCW - try the plow - adjust as necessary.

It's shipped pretty slow for safety reasons - and most dealers open it up a bit. That plow should be able to drop like a rock when that valve is open.

Happy plowing,

3. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

That part is my fault, I bought the plow use off a fella and didnt get an owners manual. I sure do appreciate you quick reply....... This site rocks!!!!!

4. tyke

tyke Junior Member

drop speed,ex 80

i have an ex 80 plow,got late last season,and so far love it,just gearing up for this winter.

one last issue has been the drop speed,it is torturous,i went through the steps in owners manual[lowering valve adjustment]but i can have it all the way in or out and in between,but the speed of drop remains slowwwww!![does not change at all]

any help would be appreciated.

5. npi9181

npi9181 Member

the owners manual is on snow dogg's site under tech you can print it out if you want

6. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Take it to the dealer to check out. Mine had some gunk in the valve screen. Ended up replacing the lift cly. Not saying that is your problem but could be something to look at. If you are mechanically inclined you can pull the valve out and see if it is clean or not.

7. tyke

tyke Junior Member

ex 80 drop speed

Well had a go at the plow today,to see if i can improve drop speed.

Had advice from tech support,very prompt,thank you!!

Tech mentioned the packing nut on lift cylinder as a possible,so i loosened the nut 1-4 turns,no difference.
    Took the clevis pin out where the lift cylinder attaches to lift head[it was pretty tight]cleaned up and re-installed,no difference.
    Drained fluid and refilled with proper fluid from dealer,no difference.
    Turned the by-pass valve all the way out,tried to pull it out,but it apparently does not come out that way,so wiggled it around,then re-installed,set it in a couple turns,set lock nut,tried plow,no difference.

At this point in time i am again out of ideas,other then taking it to a dealer,and not sure what else they can try,the plow is 2 years old,and only plowed one winter,so it is not worn out.

Any ideas:confused::confused:

mike

8. djagusch

from mn

While the blade is up loosen the hose (watch your feet). If it drops then I would pull the valve and look for gunk and movement of the plunger.

9. tyke

tyke Junior Member

plow drop

looked at plow again today,loosened the large packing nut on lift cylinder again,no change,i need to put all my weight on it to get it down to loosen the chain when needed.

removed the adjusting screw completely today,o-ring is good,cleaned it up,and re-installed,have it all the way out as possible,no change.

may take the main control valve out and see if it is plugged or something not a electrical problem as far as i know,it does drop on command,just so slowwww....

may try dis connecting the hose,and see if it drops then,that will eliminate the ram anyway.

we are right in the middle of a mess for next couple days,and i do not want to take anything apart in case something happens,and i wont have a plow to use,besides that i am out of fluid,so will need to get some more from the dealer before i bleed the lift hose.

any one with the same problem,other then the post of dis-connecting the ram hose,which i will do,i will be at a loss of exactly what step to do next..

10. djagusch

from mn

I had basically the same thing but it finally got plugged enough in the up postion. When loosening the hose it would go down like it should. I pulled the valve on my vx had a bunch of gray/black gooey stuff in the valve screen. Cleaned it worked for a while then it gunked up again. Dealer ended up replacing the lift cylinder (source of the. Gunk). Worked fine then.

11. djagusch

from mn

Just read the whole thread I have already told you this. So help yourself before asking for more help.

12. tyke

tyke Junior Member

plugged screen

Finally had time to remove the SA valve today,it was clogged with black material at the screen,hard stuff to clean off,once back together the plow now drops at a much better rate,not like a rock,but certainly a great improvement

I also had leakage around the lift cylinder packing nut,ever since i had loosened it while troubleshooting the slow drop speed,i have been re tightening it since then and today have it pretty snug,so maybe that will do it.

I see a thread about a service bulletin on the lift cylinders,is this covered by snow dog or only under a certain time limit???.

I will assume the fouling up will occur again,the material has to be in the whole system,will a complete flushing clean it out or will i need to repack/replace the lift cylinder.

Thanks for all the help,great plow,looks like we will be needing it this week!!!

Mike